Bescos played three sports and coached

Julian “Julie” Bescos, a multitalented athlete who played and coached three different sports for USC, died May 23 in Long Beach, Calif.. He was 97.

Bescos was an eight-time letterman for the Trojans, starring in football, basketball and baseball for his school.

On the gridiron, he helped lead USC to a national championship in 1932 and was made team captain in 1934. He was named the basketball team’s most valuable player in 1934 and was twice honored by the All-Pacific Coast Conference Southern Division. The Trojans won their league all three years that he played for the team on the hardwood.

As an outfielder, he helped pilot the Trojans to a league title in 1932.

Upon graduation, Bescos served as a coach for all three sports at the freshmen and junior varsity level in 1935. He later assisted the varsity football team from 1937 to 1941 and in 1945. As head coach of the men’s basketball team in 1942, he led the Trojans to a 12-8 record, second-best in the league.

Bescos was also a Navy veteran who served in World War II and an avid golfer who would later become president of the California and Southern California Golf Association.

Bescos is survived by his wife Faye; son Barry; daughters Julianne Gee and Vicki Payne; stepsons John, Steve and Joe Dallas and numerous grandchildren.

A public memorial service will be held at 1 p.m. today at Grace First Presbyterian Church, 3955 N. Studebaker Road, Long Beach. In lieu of flowers, his family requests that donations be made to the Long Beach Cancer League.