DeRozan expected to be selected in the top 10 of the NBA draft

demarderozanbrandonhui

Gone so soon · DeRozan, who left after one season at USC, is likely to be a top 10 pick in the NBA draft. | Brandon Hui | Daily Trojan

DeRozan canceled a workout Monday with the Minnesota Timberwolves, who hold the No. 6 pick, due to illness. The 6-foot-7 forward reportedly felt sick after a Sunday workout with the Memphis Grizzlies and flew home to Los Angeles instead of working out with the team.

DeRozan has also worked out with a number of other teams in the top 10, including the Oklahoma City Thunder, the New York Knicks and the Washington Wizards. He has been most frequently linked to the Toronto Raptors, who hold the No. 9 pick and are believed to be looking for a wing player in the draft.

The former USC star was also invited to the green room of Thursday’s draft and is expected to attend the event in New York City.

Gibson could be one of the late risers in the draft and is being mentioned as a possible late first round pick. Some mock drafts have him going as early as No. 20 to the Utah Jazz, while others project him to be selected somewhere in the beginning of the second round.

Within the last week, Gibson has worked out for Utah, Oklahoma City and the New Orleans Hornets.

Hackett is believed to be a second round pick at best. DraftExpress.com reported that Hackett already has in place a multi-year contract with the Italian team Benetton Treviso. The website reported that the contract included a clause that would allow him to join an NBA team if one drafted him or signed him to a contract as an undrafted free agent.

Hackett worked out last week for the Knicks and the Detroit Pistons.