With music venues, smaller is better

High note · The Wiltern Theatre received its unique name from its location: the corner of Wilshire Boulevard and Western Avenue. Built in 1931, The Wiltern is a fine example of LA’s art-deco architecture. - Nathaniel Gonzalez | Daily Trojan

Although Austin holds the title of “The Live Music Capital of the World,” Los Angeles has a vibrant music scene and a slew of interesting venues that showcase local and touring acts of all musical styles.

Being in a big city for the first time gives you an opportunity to broaden your musical horizons and here, it’s easy to go beyond mainstream music and experience all of the concert hotspots Los Angeles has to offer. From Downtown to Hollywood, Echo Park to Los Feliz, every eclectic neighborhood in this musically diverse city is pulsating with a vibe and venue all its own.

The Smell

Located in a trash-soaked alley Downtown, The Smell is the closest underground music venue to USC. Known for being one of the few

alcohol-free all ages venues in town, The Smell has been home to several bands that have broken into the national scene. The venue is volunteer-run and all of its events are just $5, which is totally worth a bizarre passage into the world of independent art and music in Los Angeles.

247 S. Main St., Los Angeles

Echo/Echoplex

Slightly more mainstream than The Smell — and a little further from the alleys of downtown — is the Echo and the Echoplex. These two venues, which are actually

located upstairs/downstairs from each other in the same building, attract bigger artists touring from independent scenes from around the globe. A show at these venues, located on Sunset Boulevard in the epicenter of Echo Park’s renaissance, can run you up to $25, but the Echo’s monthly residencies — where a different band takes over headlining Monday nights each month — is thankfully free.

1822 W. Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles

Club Nokia

Away from the underground scene but closest to campus is Club Nokia, the more intimate counterpart of the Nokia Theatre located in the heart of LA Live. Club Nokia offers great music and entertainment for many tastes and the upcoming calendar includes larger acts like Placebo, The Streets, HelloGoodbye and Motorhead. The Nokia Club is definitely a great option for music lovers at USC mainly because of its proximity, accessibility and glamorous vibe.

800 West Olympic Blvd., Los Angeles

Sound proof · (below) Downtown’s new age landmark, The Smell, has played a major role in LA’s avant garde music scene. Among its alumni are No Age, Abe Vigoda and Mika Miko. (above) Located on Hollywood Boulevard just several blocks from the city’s populated tourist attractions, the Music Box at the Henry Fonda Theater  is hosting several big acts this fall, including Cake and Bat for Lashes. - Nathaniel Gonzalez | Daily Trojan

Sound proof · (below) Downtown’s new age landmark, The Smell, has played a major role in LA’s avant garde music scene. Among its alumni are No Age, Abe Vigoda and Mika Miko. (above) Located on Hollywood Boulevard just several blocks from the city’s populated tourist attractions, the Music Box at the Henry Fonda Theater is hosting several big acts this fall, including Cake and Bat for Lashes. - Nathaniel Gonzalez | Daily Trojan

Music Box at the Henry Fonda

Another small venue providing intimate shows for LA’s audiophiles is the Music Box at The Henry Fonda Theater. Located on Hollywood Boulevard at the eastern end of the starry sidewalk, this theater-turned-venue offers great artists and a state-of-the-art facility. Most events here are promoted by Live Nation and Goldenvoice, so you might have to shell out some hard-earned cash, but the balcony provides stadium-style seating and the rooftop smoking area projects a live feed from the show on the wall so you’ll never miss a moment.

6126 Hollywood Boulevard, Hollywood

Greek Theater

Great shows also come through the Greek Theater, Los Angeles’ most environmentally friendly venue located in the middle of the forest in Griffith Park. If you are willing to escape the bustle of the city, the Greek Theatre offers a memorable musical experience. Much like the Hollywood Bowl, the Greek’s natural surroundings add to the acoustics and make it a great place for a night of music under the stars.

2700 N Vermont Ave., Los Angeles

Wiltern Theatre

The Wiltern Theatre is another great venue that is easily accessible from USC. Located on the corner of Wilshire and Western across the street from the last Purple Line station, The Wiltern is a registered historical landmark and boasts a 2300 standing room capacity. Shows here range from nationally-known comedians to radio station-sponsored lineups and its steep sloped balcony and art deco amenities make for epic performances.

3790 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles

Henry-Fonda-Nathaniel-Gonzalez-web

These are just some of the venues that the musical mecca of Los Angeles has to offer (more recognizable options include the Key Club, the Roxy, the Palladium and the House of Blues), but chances are that if you are willing to take the next step in discovering new mind-blowing musical acts, the aforementioned venues will rarely let you down.