Forum to discuss fiscal crisis

On Thursday, USC will host its first Critical Issues Forum designed to give experts a chance to discuss important situations facing society, starting with financial problems in the state government.

The forum, “Going For Broke: Governance and the Fiscal Crisis,” will include six guest speakers who will discuss the state’s current economic status.

David Galaviz, executive director of Local Government Relations, said the forum, which was organized through the School of Policy, Planning and Development, will benefit USC’s relationship with community and government officials.

“The Critical Issues Forum is part of an overall strategy to improve the connections that the university has with policymakers,” Galaviz said.

He said PPD is hoping to work with policymakers to help confront challenges facing society.

Los Angeles Councilmember Bernard Parks, who will also speak at the event, said the forum is a good chance for students to learn about the financial situation.

“Even if it doesn’t fit into their major or is not something they’re studying, it’s how this state and city are going to conduct themselves in this crisis, what the government is currently doing and how they’re conducting themselves in those efforts,” he said.

Dowell Myers, a professor who will speak at the forum, said this forum will be part of a continuing attempt to help effect change.

“It’s an example of USC taking leadership in the state,” Myers said.

Galaviz said they expect about 200 people to attend the first forum.

The six-member committee includes Los Angeles County Chief Executive Officer William T. Fujioka; California State Controller John Chiang; Parks; and Fiscal Policy Advisor for California Forward Fred Silva.

It will also feature two USC professors: Myers, the director of the USC Population Dynamics Research Group; and Bedrosian Center Director Daniel Mazmanian.

“We feel that experience of the six panelists can really create a strong learning experience and can get students thinking about how to solve these pressing public policy issues,” Galaviz said.

Myers said he believes the forum is a step toward finding a solution.

“You need to have lots of dialogue,” he said. “There’s a lot of ideas being put on the table.”

These forums will be a semiannual event, Galaviz said.

Preliminary ideas for future forums include the film industry, homelessness and health care.