Intrigue and change characterize break

Winter break is over.

It’s sad, but it’s true. Now, it’s back to the daily grind of classes, homework, internships and jobs.

It may not seem like it’s been that long since you’ve been on campus — in reality, it’s only been a few weeks. But in that short time, a lot has happened in the world of USC sports.

It’s sometimes hard to follow what’s been going on around USC when you’re not on campus.

However, this column might give you a chance to catch up quickly at the beginning of spring semester. With the huge quantity and varying range of stories that broke over break, from accusations of NCAA infractions to self-imposed sanctions, it was a hectic few weeks.

This might help clear up any questions you might still have.

The USC football team ended the 2009 regular season on a low note and had to play in a non-BCS bowl for the first time since 2001. Having to settle for the Emerald Bowl in San Francisco, the team was dealt another blow shortly before its Dec. 26 matchup against Boston College.

Junior running back Joe McKnight was reportedly observed violating NCAA rules by driving a SUV that did not belong to him. The vehicle was registered to a Santa Monica businessman who said he had nothing to do with marketing players or representing athletes. Still, the rule states that an NCAA student-athlete cannot accept extra benefits from anyone based on their athletic ability. The investigation is still in progress.

Although McKnight joined the team in San Francisco for practice, he was not cleared to play. Without its star running back, USC won its seventh bowl game under coach Pete Carroll. The Trojans defeated the Eagles 24-13 behind freshman quarterback Matt Barkley’s two touchdown passes and one rushing touchdown.

The win placed a positive note on an otherwise disappointing season.

With the football season over, the focus shifted to men’s basketball, where the Trojans were piecing together a surprisingly solid start to their season under new coach Kevin O’Neill. After losing three of its first five games, USC capped off an eight-game winning streak by defeating Arizona State on Jan. 2.

The following day, however, this feel-good story didn’t feel so good anymore.

On Jan. 3, USC implemented self-imposed sanctions on the men’s basketball program for violating NCAA rules with regards to O.J. Mayo’s involvement with booster Rodney Guillory during the 2007-2008 season.

Under the sanctions, the current team is banned from postseason competition, including the Pac-10 Conference basketball tournament, and the program will lose one scholarship for the next two academic years, among other penalties.

Is it fair that this team and this coach get punished for others’ wrongdoings? No.

But it was necessary.

The Trojans have lost two straight since the sanctions were announced.

But team suffered a bigger loss over break. On Jan. 5, Rory Markas, the voice of the team, was found dead at his Palmdale, Calif. home. He was 54.

“He was a consummate professional and a well-loved individual,” USC Athletic Director Mike Garrett said. “He’ll be a very difficult person to replace.”

The following day, USC alum Randy Johnson, arguably the most dominating left-handed pitcher to every play Major League Baseball, retired from the sport. He finished his career with five Cy Young Awards, 303 wins and 4,875 strike outs, second on the all-time list behind Nolan Ryan.

As winter recess came to a close, the news shifted back to the football team.

First, it was redshirt junior receiver Damian Williams and McKnight declaring to opt for the NFL draft next season. Williams, the team’s MVP last season, and McKnight will leave gaping holes for the team to fill.

Also, backup quarterback Aaron Corp transferred to Richmond.

Although USC’s offense will be filled with new faces next season, the team recently discovered it has bigger shoes to fill.

In the words of Pete Carroll himself, “It came out of nowhere.”

Yes, Carroll is leaving.

Yes, that means no more “Big Balls Pete” chants.

And yes, I am bitter just like you.

It was a day I thought I’d never see, especially during my time here at USC, but Carroll’s tenure coaching the Trojans is over.

He leaves behind a remarkable legacy that will be tough for any coach to follow. And he leaves it all behind to coach the Seattle Seahawks next season. The deal was made official Monday.

While everyone in USC land probably knew of Carroll’s departure, maybe some of the other stories that occurred over break didn’t catch your attention.

But now that you’re all caught up, let the semester begin.

“Soft Hands” runs on Tuesdays. To comment on this article, visit dailytrojan.com or email Jon at [email protected].