Weekend Picks

thursday, january 21

Karaoke Dance Party
9 p.m. > The Hideout > FREE

Every Thursday, the classy Westside lounge hosts Gold Dust Productions’ karaoke dance party. Complete with free tacos half-price drinks until midnight, it’s your spot to sing and dance the night away.

Whale Watching
1:30 p.m. > Cabrillo Marine Aquarium > FREE with RSVP

Catch a boat and witness the migration of the Pacific gray whale along with the porpoises, sea lions, harbor seals and birds that inhabit the South Bay waters. Each boat is staffed with a trained naturalist who will provide important information about local marine life.

From the Spoon to the City
Noon – 8 p.m. > LACMA > $8

An exhibit that has been running since August and is now in its last week, this show features quirky inventions relocated from the museum’s 20th century design collection. Come see what architect Frank Lloyd Wright was working on before he tackled Chicago’s skyline.

Los Angeles Art Show
11 a.m. – 5 p.m. > L.A. Convention Center > $20

Head up Figueroa Street to the 15th annual L.A. Art Show and mingle with enthusiasts about art in any medium: painting, sculpture, photography and video. Wednesday evening marks the Opening Gala, and showcases run all weekend long.

friday, january 22

Fowler In Focus: African
Basketry Arts
Noon – 5 p.m. > Fowler Museum > FREE

Although it resides on the darker side of town, the Fowler Museum’s current exhibit offers a conglomeration of African baskets that were skillfully converted into fashionable hats, masks and not-so-protective shields and screens.

Mary Poppins
8 p.m. > Ahmanson Theatre > $25 +

Playing at the beautiful Ahmanson Theatre in Downtown Los Angeles, Mary Poppins delightfully reawakens fond recollections of a childhood spent belting out “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.” Ticket prices can run high, but there are reasonable options available for college folk.

New Deal Fireside Chat Hour
5 p.m. – 7 p.m. > The Edison > $10.50

Relax at the historic Edison cocktail lounge and let the sounds of the 1930s complement this Downtown bar’s vintage-era drinks. Friday’s “Soup Kitchen” hours offer free grilled cheese and tomato soup plus Depression-era prices.

Cold War Kids
7:30 p.m. > The Wiltern > $20

The Cold War Kids kick off the tour for their new EP Behave Yourself at the historical venue. Show up for some new songs from a popular indie rock group and start the weekend properly.

saturday, january 22

Silverlake Art, Craft & Vintage Flea Market
10 a.m. – 4 p.m. > Micheltorena Elementary School > FREE

This weekly event entices the frugal shopper looking for eclectic jewelry, offbeat collectibles or even handmade gifts for a significant other. A portion of the proceeds go toward the on-site elementary school.

Esotouric: Weird West Adams
Noon > Clifton’s Cafeteria >$58

Get to know USC’s side of the tracks on this bus tour of the grand swath of the city just west of Downtown Los Angeles. The tour will celebrate one of L.A.’s most graciously dilapidated neighborhoods, with terrible tales and delightful buildings. Passengers will be treated to detailed descriptions of some of the most notorious, strange and fascinating forgotten tales from the past one hundred years.

GRAMMY Go Seek: Scavenger Hunt at the Grammy Museum
2 p.m. > Grammy Museum > $27

As if 30,000 square feet dedicated to music awards isn’t cool enough, the Out of the Box community has designed an organized hunt through the labyrinth of rock history, super computers, and private recording bays. Even if you can’t stay for the prize, just seeing the place is worth a Saturday afternoon.

Operation Dress-Up
1 p.m. > Yozen Frogurt > FREE

Drag your gently-used clothing out to the San Fernando Valley and be rewarded with free froyo.

sunday, january 23

Sunday Funday Adventure
11 a.m, > Huntington Beach > $35

Spinning off on the traditional beachside run/walk, this day-long ocean adventure pairs an obstacle course, a scavenger hunt and Amazing Race-type challenges for pairs of two brave enough to take it on.

Art Deco Society of L.A.’s 30 Years of Pin-Up Fashion Show
6 p.m. > Warner Grand Theatre > $55

Catch a glimpse of the good old days with the Art Deco Society’s annual fashion show. Catch classic-looking models as they strut down the runway in sexy dresses from the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s, some even worn by Hollywood starlets such as Ginger Rogers and Ava Gardner.

Digitally Restored: Superman and Superman II
5 p.m. > Egyptian Theatre > $9

The original 1978 and 1980 director’s cut has been restored and will be amazing fans in a double feature in Hollywood. And for those who dismiss Superman as an overdone fairytale of another flying superhero, there’s eight minutes of never-before-seen footage.

Burlesque
8 p.m. > Bordello Bar > $9

A night of sultry performances from five beautiful women in a throwback to the vaudevillian era. Witty and seductive, this underground burlesque show will raise the hairs on the back of your neck and definitely grab your attention.

— Tanvi Mirani, Becca Lett and Nicholas Slayton

1. julie kertes
    julie kertes says:

More info on the FREE YOGURT post above:

Operation Dress Up’s next clothing drive will benefit the Haiti Quake Relief as well as the organization MEND (Meet Each Need with Dignity). Please join us Saturday, January 23rd, at Yozen Frogurt (6450 Platt Avenue in West Hills) from 1pm to 5pm. Come on down with your bag of gently used clothing and receive a free frozen yogurt with tasty toppings to choose from! For more info, visit OperationDressUp.org.