Lower level should not mean second rate

Sunday was a day of firsts.

The Saints won Super Bowl XLIV, the broadcast became the highest rated television show of all time, and CBS aired a new show after the game called Undercover Boss.

Undercover Boss is a CBS reality show in which a CEO or company executive goes undercover as a lowly, entry-level employee followed by cameramen acting as though he is shooting a documentary on that particular job. The first episode, which aired immediately after the Saints’ victory, featured Waste Management President and Chief Operating Officer Larry O’Donnell working as a newly-hired trash man for his own company.

Larry worked at several jobs ranging from picking up trash on a hill with a hand pike, office work and driving a city trash truck route. In all of the situations, none of the employees were aware that he was from upper management. Larry had real conversations with his temporary co-workers. He experienced the challenges of their daily tasks and learned the real effects of management policies — often policies he implemented.

From this experience, Larry changed as a person. He changed in how he related to people and in his managerial perspective. He suddenly understood from their point of view and could identify with his employees. Larry spent some difficult days in the shoes of his employees and as a result could no longer make a decision without thinking about how it would affect his lower echelon colleagues.

We can all become better businessmen and businesswomen, better leaders and better people by living and experiencing life from as many perspectives as possible.

Students tend to leave school here at USC and go on to be leaders in the world. There is a perception that we come from upper class families and move on to high-level, high-pay and high-prestige positions in society, evading most financial struggles.

Aaron Rovner | Daily Trojan

While I am very grateful we have bountiful opportunities to pursue our dreams as they relate to our careers and otherwise, there is something truly admirable about the people who work jobs that we never consider a remote possibility for ourselves just to provide for the family.

Huey Long, a maintenance worker at USC in the Von KleinSmid Center, is one of my heroes.

Long has been working maintenance at USC for 28 years. Every time I see him near VKC performing his job well, he greets people and always has a smile. He spreads joy infectiously. Yet his job is something we hardly glance at, as if it doesn’t even exist. We are disconnected from occupations that many consider menial, particularly those that require no education.

But those who work these jobs are human beings, living lives, raising families and trying to contribute to society. And the services they provide are crucial to business and daily life. Imagine what the nicest of hotels would look like with grungy bathrooms. Imagine dining halls without food service employees. Imagine the public transit system without bus drivers.

Operations across the board would fail. Yet we forget to honor the individuals who work these jobs, keep our workplaces operable, our classrooms teachable and our luxury amenities luxurious. Worse yet, we not only forget to honor these individuals, we often dishonor them with a lesser-than-us attitude.

O’Donnell lived a few tough days in his employees’ shoes. Before his experiences with the show, he focused entirely on efficiency — enacting policies to cut costs, increase revenue and quality control. He was detached from the employees he is obligated to serve. After his experience, O’Donnell could no longer consider actions by numbers and costs only, but by people.

People aren’t just numbers. Everyone has a story. As we Trojans move out into the real world, let’s never forget that. The truest of leaders are leaders who honor both those who work hard in high-paid positions and those whom society overlooks in low-paid positions. If we walk in the shoes of people like Long, we will not forget them. Next time you see someone doing a necessary task, ask him how he is doing or how his day is going, and thank him for what he does. Let’s take advantage of those opportunities to know their story.

Jensen Carlsen is a senior majoring in mathematics and economics.  His column “The Bridge” runs Wednesdays.

1. Rick
    Rick says:

As an Employee of Facilities Management Services in the Plumbing shop I for one appreciate the comments of the author. We are not the low class citizens that most of the students on and off campus view us as or the necessary evil that the University views us as. To the commenter posting rude comments about the author just remember this. If it wasn’t for people like myself and the all the employees of FMS, including the man mentioned in the article, people like the poster wouldn’t have a beautiful campus with well maintained buildings, dorms and apartments to live in and you wouldn’t have a school to go to. If you live on or off campus and enjoy your hot water when you shower just remember that we make sure you have that water. My job specifically is to make sure you have that hot water and heat during the winter, and I take pride in my job. We are well paid well educated trades people in our specific trades. We are people just like the poster with families to feed and bills to pay.
    Maybe if people like the poster would say hi when you see people in the red and blue shirts and not view us as second class citizens you would have a different view of these people and what they do to make sure this University functions on a daily basis

2. guy
    guy says:

You appear to have missed the point. But sure. Statistically speaking, USC graduates do make a lot of money and fill upper-class jobs, not that that is a guarantee by any means. It doesn’t matter if we have a high job or a low job, the honor should still be there. Your rudeness toward the author shows you’re no better than the rich and powerful guy that neglects the lower-class.

3. Joe
    Joe says:

Ah, it’s so nice to see you rich, powerful upper-class types giving honor to the plebeians who, because of lesser ability and inferior birth, are incapable of achieving success on the same level as you. Oh wait, what’s that you say? You’re just a college sophomore who doesn’t even have a resume or a job? You mean you’re just *assuming* that because of your high birth and superior ability, you’re guaranteed a powerful upper-class job? Don’t count your chickens before they’re hatched!