J. Eric’s Entertainment Buzz Report

Tonight Show takes lead in late night ratings

Jay Leno has received a warm and successful welcome back to late-night television this week. “It’s good to be home,” he told his audience as he began his first Tonight Show monologue since last year. “I’m Jay Leno, your host. At least, for a while.”

Monday night, his first night back in the 11:30 time slot in almost a year, Leno led the Eastern time slot rating with 6.6 million viewers beating ABC rival Nightline, which had 4.1 million viewers, and CBS’s Late Show with David Letterman, which had 3.8 million viewers, according to the Nielsen Co.

Last night, Jay welcomed Sarah Palin to sit on the couch next to him. To begin the segment Palin, dressed casually in blue jeans and a black trench, poked fun at herself by providing notes for Leno written on her hand. Both Palin and Leno, who have been subject to a great deal of media scrutiny in the past weeks, made light of issues like the media’s treatment of her kids, her speech at the tea party movement and about her campaign with Senator John McCain.

Also appearing on the show last night was Olympic gold medalist Shaun White and a musical performance by controversial pop artist Adam Lambert.

Anderson Cooper to replace Katie Couric?

Back a few years ago, when there seemed to be a new “Katie Couric is going to leave CBS soon” story every hour, one of the names thought to have been her replacement was CNN’s Anderson Cooper. It seems that those rumors are back, but a little bit more serious this time.

A spokesperson for CNN says that reports that Anderson Cooper is leaving CNN to replace Katie Couric at CBS are not true. Couric’s contract is set to end next year. The New York Times reported on Monday that Cooper met with CBS officials to discuss an anchor job at the network. “Reports that Cooper has recently met with CBS News to talk about the anchor position are false,” the CNN spokesperson said. Cooper is currently a contributing correspondent for CBS’ 60 Minutes show. A CBS spokesperson responded saying, “We’re perfectly happy with the role Anderson currently has at CBS, and we’re not talking to him or anyone else about Katie’s job.”

Media insiders are saying this situation sounds like desperate public relations power play. TheWeek.com is reporting that Cooper’s team planted the rumors because “he’s desperate to get out of his ratings disaster at CNN.”

What’s your take on this situation?

Ochocinco, Anderson, Gosselin among group of new dancers

ABC released the roster for their new season of Dancing With The Stars. With this line up, I have to say, I think this is going to be one of the best seasons of the show that ABC has ever put together. Although Paula Abdul was not included on the list (amid the rumors of her inclusion for this season), I am pleased because I recognize all the names, unlike in previous seasons. The group is all-inclusive and will appeal to many different American audiences. However, the choices do seem very superficial.

The two biggest names and news makers in my book, ESPN reporter Erin Andrews and football player Chad Ochocinco, will make their debut on the show. Ochocinco, who is a attention-attracting powerhouse, will definitely keep audiences on the tips of their seats with his unpredictable antics. Pamela Anderson and Kate Gosselin, who also made a great deal of news in recent months, are also among the new group of contestants. See the full list below. The new season of DWTS premieres March 22 on ABC.

Pamela Anderson (Baywatch)

Buzz Aldren (retired astronaut)

Shannen Doherty (Beverly Hills 90210)

Kate Gosselin (Jon and Kate Plus 8)

Niecy Nash (comedienne, Reno-911)

Chad Ochocinco (NFL wideout)

Evan Lysacek (Olympic gold-medal winning figure skater)

Erin Andrews (ESPN anchor)

Nicole Sherzinger (Pussycat Dolls)

Aiden Turner (soap star, All My Children)