Weekend Picks

thursday, march 4

An Evening with Paula Deen and Family
8 p.m. > Pantages Theater > $35+

Food Network’s Paula Deen takes her traditional Southern cooking TV show onstage and on the road. Come witness Deen’s folksy charm along with her showcase of food in person. Don’t miss it, y’all.

Architecture in Two Dimensions
7 p.m. > Getty Center > FREE

KCRW host Frances Anderton is moderating this discussion with architect Mario Violich and scholars Peter Hales and Stephen Murray. The event doubles as an excuse to visit the most beautiful museum in Los Angeles.

You Say Tomato, I Say Shut UP
7 p.m. > Book Soup > FREE

Get an early look into the trials and tribulations of marriage by the two authors of this hilarious memoir. This Book Soup presentation provides fascinating insight into the contrast between real-life interactions and fiction.

Jeffrey Wells: Seeing While Seeing
11 a.m. – 6 p.m. > Santa Monica Museum of Art > FREE

Love tricking yourself with black and white optical illusions? Like trying to distinguish between the two faces and the cup? Then this latest art exhibit will blow your mind (and eyes) as Wells’ work is specifically designed to exploit optical phenomenons using light, time and optics.

friday, march 5

Oscar Nominated Short Films
7 p.m. and 10 p.m. > Egyptian Theatre > $9

With the Oscars coming up on Sunday, the Egyptian Theatre is doing a series of programs dedicated to nominated films. This one features all of the short films nominated in the Animation and Live-Action categories, complete with English subtitles as necessary.

Experience Hendrix: 2010 Tribute Tour
8:15 p.m. > Gibson Ampitheatre > $20 – $80

This edition of the annual Experience Hendrix tour features: Jimi’s old Army buddy and post-Experience bassist Billy Cox, along with Isley Brothers guitarist Ernie Isley. Also performing are Aerosmith guitarist Brad Whitford, Cesar Rosas and David Hidalgo of Los Lobos.

Musicals on the Big Screen: West Side Story
7:30 p.m. > Egyptian Theatre > $9

If you’re looking for a contemporary Sparknotes version of Romeo and Juliet (or if Taylor Swift’s “Love Story” didn’t quite do it for you), visit this past Oscar winner and sing along to gang warfare in New York.

Wokano Food Tasting
7 p.m. > Wockano Downtown > $18

Yelp.com is hosting a special food tasting that includes salad, appetizers, sushi and sashimi, multiple entrée tastings, rice and dessert.

saturday, march 6

Boyz II Men
7 p.m. > Club Nokia > $19.75-$53.75

Come see this legendary 80s R&B group bring back the smooth, sensitive hits from all 10 of its hit albums. BIIM is down one member — bass singer Michael McCary — but the remaining Boyz are still on bended knee.

Young Directors Night
6 p.m. > LACMA > $30

Four out of six of the young directors featured are either current USC School of Cinematic Arts students or recent graduates. Support fellow Trojans by attending this exciting event featuring entertainment, dessert and even an open bar.

Oscar Nominated Film Editors Panel Discussion
10 a.m. > Egyptian Theatre > FREE

Another Oscars event, all of this year’s Oscar-nominated editors discuss the editing process involved in transforming five chosen films from blossoming works into Oscar nominations. Both James Cameron and Sally Menke are appearing.

Chickens In Love Benefit Show
noon – 6 p.m. > The Echoplex > $15

This mini music festival includes performances from some of the local bands who recorded songs written by youngsters for 826LA’s Chickens In Love compilation. Punk hairstyles, rockstar vendors and a burger food truck will be on hand for the festivities.

sunday, march 7

Second Annual LA Weekly Gold Standard Food and Wine Event
1 p.m. – 5 p.m. > Peterson Automotive Museum > $60

Pulitzer Prize-winning LA Weekly food writer Jonathan Gold celebrates his fantastic articles and even more fantastic name with more than 40 of his favorite L.A. eating locales. Sample delicious food and glean some tips from one of the best food critics in town.

Road to Freedom
10 a.m. – 5 p.m. > Skirball Cultural Center > $7

This massive civil-rights photography exhibit — featuring 170 photos taken between 1956-1968 — ends Sunday. The images, taken by over 35 photographers, are on loan from the High Museum of Art in Atlanta and feature a special section focusing on Los Angeles.

Bach St. Matthew Passion
7 p.m. > Walt Disney Concert Hall > $19 – $124

Enhance your cultural awareness by stepping away from Amp radio and exploring classical music. Considered one of the great masterpieces of Western Civilization, Bach’s St. Matthew Passion will be performed by the LA Master Chorale. If none of this appeals to you, maybe the inspiring architecture of the Walt Disney Hall will.

— Tanvi Mirani and Becca Lett