Static’s new album much more than white noise

The band’s name might be the literal translation of the Finnish word for “computer,” but Static of the Gods’ latest release Knowledge Machine is all about life, humanity and emotion. The Boston-based trio of Jen Johnson, Mike Latulippe and Ben Voskeritchian have put together one of the best albums so far this year, but its fault lies in its lack of range of styles. Each song features a slow, melodic pace that focuses more on the female singer’s vocals than the rest of the band’s abilities.

Gods and men · Massachusetts three-piece Static of the Gods’ new album Knowledge Machine centers on issues of human nature and its lyrics feature vibrant imagery. - Photo courtesy of Planetary Group

That is not to say Knowledge Machine has a bad sound. The album is rich with powerful guitar chords and vibrant imagery. And although each song has a similar sound, there are little differences in the tracks that make each one unique and entertaining.

Most of the songs for Knowledge Machine were written by the band while on tour and at shows. The album feels very much like a road soundtrack, the kind of songs perfect for a reflective drive down the coast or through the woods. The album’s 11 tracks are introspective, tackling personal issues such as isolation, longing and emotional betrayal.

Each song feels genuine and soulful while the music is powerful and haunting. It lingers and provokes thoughts but never shocks or startles. Knowledge Machine is the kind of music that stirs the imagination, strikes up an emotion or recalls a memory.

The opening song, “Rest Your Head,” sets the mood with powerful lyrics that accompany a musical buildup from slow chords to overwhelming melodies and enveloping beats.

The follow up, “Talk You Down,” is a look into isolation and identity, told through a rich sound that builds on the first track but puts more emphasis on the bass and drums.

By the third track, “Hollow Heart,” though, the little differences in each song become more apparent. The lyrics call for independence in a relationship, and the music takes a subtle, hard-rock edge. “Church Bells” uses a catchier, electronic approach, with undertones of early-90s alternative rock. The pace really picks, however, up with “White Flag,” a guitar-driven rebellion against repetition and conformity that is the highlight of the album.

The closing song, “True North,” ties up the album perfectly, bringing together all of the themes and messages of the previous tracks. It is a culmination of the intimate, almost innocent feeling that permeates Knowledge Machine. Like “Rest Your Head,” it starts slow but builds into an impassioned call for escape from society and finding inner peace where the sun shines all the time.

While the music is definitely indie-rock, Knowledge Machine avoids would-be pop-culture references that have invaded the genre. Instead, it goes to the basics of human emotion and relationships. The closest comparison to the band’s sound would be local band Silversun Pickups, but Static of the Gods puts more of an emphasis on vocal power.

Johnson’s vocals are the driving force of Static of the Gods’ sound. The lyrics are smart and full of vivid imagery, and she has a strong, rich voice that haunts the songs. Her singing on “Mean Streak” is the best on the album and cements her as one of the best female singers in rock.

The lyrics in Knowledge Machine do not fade away but instead linger on, blending seamlessly into the music. Latulippe and Voskeritchian, with Johnson’s guitar playing, complement the vocals and never come across as background filler the way other bands’ instruments sometimes do.

With its relaxing music and introspective lyrics, Knowledge Machine is a captivating album. It is a refreshing take on indie-rock, one that doesn’t try to be edgy or rebellious for the sake of going against the mainstream, instead focusing on its sound first and foremost. Static of the Gods crafted an album far more enjoyable than those of its major-label cousins, and it should garner the band some well-deserved popularity.