Spring fever hits us hard

Every year during spring, we encounter urge to succumb to the temptation of the siren’s call. For years, scientists and poets have mislabeled the phenomenon of her allure as “spring fever.” But it is no fever, nor is it passed from human to human.

Thomas Curry | Daily Trojan

Springtime is a seductive mistress, constantly pulling us to a warm grassy spot to count the number of white cloud that float by.

Maybe the only contagious part of spring is seeing others fall under spring’s spell. When they succumb, it can lessen our own resistance as we feel that same tug toward lackadaisical irresponsibility.

The six weeks post-spring break and pre-summer might well be the most challenging time of the academic year for college students, not necessarily because of the workload or course requirements — though this period does coincide with the much-celebrated midterm season — or because we’re forced to sit and study for long, tedious hours.

It is because the spring extends its wanton invitation to throw our responsibilities out the window and go frolicking down to Red Mango. But we must not give in. Or if we do, only in small bites.

The process of recovering from spring break is compounded by an all-consuming focus on the hope and promise of summer, which can often be enough to thoroughly derail a student’s motivation from anything academic.

Jesse Mentz, a sophomore majoring in international relations, articulates this quandary: “Spring break is like a glimpse of summer; as soon as you get it, you just want more,” he said. “And so at about the time you start getting used to the lifestyle of spring break or summer, you have to go back to classes. Then you’re just really excited for summer or spring break again, and you can’t really get back into the work mode.”

Spring’s mystical powers were especially strong last weekend; the warm weather and glorious sunlight only served to further excite us about the prospect of summer and what undiscovered sunny treasures it holds.

A quick walk around campus affirms that students have begun to partake in warm-weather activities. The campus has been filled with sunbathing or sport-playing students.

All jesting aside, there is biological substantiation for the apathetic mood that tends to grip the masses about this time of year. The New York Times states the biological process this way: “The increasing intensity and longevity of sunlight in spring is somehow measured by the brain, probably through the eyes. This information is then transmitted to the pineal gland in the base of the cerebrum, which responds by reducing its secretion of melatonin, a hormone that influences mood and energy levels.”

Therefore, in the same way that a good-smelling meal encourages the secretion of saliva and excites us about the prospect of eating, the sun as an external stimulus encourages the secretion of hormones that make us feel alert.

The change of seasons gives students a distinct feeling of revival, as the return of sunlight breaks gloom of winter.

So are we to flee sunshine altogether and find refuge in dark places? Probably not, for I’m quite sure no one would entertain such a suggestion. Alternatively, should we lash out in rebellion against spring? Chances are its effects are already being felt so strongly that few could be bothered to take action requiring that much energy. So the best course of action is to give in to springtime temptations in well-measured moderation. While it might be idyllic to spend the day in sunny reverie, schoolwork also calls; we must encourage a balance between the two. Indulge with temperance and use outdoor activities as a reward for diligence and concentration.

Better yet, study outside with friends. Studies have shown that these habits tend to increase focus anyway.

Mental fortitude and careful preparation are necessary to combat the allure of spring, so be wary and ready yourself, giving into the call only in healthy intervals.

If you should fall prey, you can rest comfortably in knowing that the consequences of the reckless frolic are likely to burn a few extra calories and regain a bit of mental health that will make you more effective when you develop the resolve to refocus.

Reid Roman is a freshman majoring in industrial and systems engineering.