NFL Draft updates

The Daily Trojan will be live blogging the NFL Draft. Check back for updates on Trojans selected in the upcoming days.

2:17 p.m.: With the final pick of the 2010 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions selected wide reciever Timothy Toone, bringing the three-day, 255-pick event to a close.

In total, seven USC players were chosen by NFL teams to fill a variety of needs in the professional ranks. Safety Taylor Mays was the first to go, at No. 49 overall, and tight end Anthony McCoy proved to be the last at No. 185.

Among those left undrafted were center Jeff Byers, cornerback Josh Pinkard and running back Stafon Johnson. All of the undrafted former Trojans will get a chance at free agency in the coming weeks — another chance to prove they belong in the NFL.

Thanks for sticking around with the Daily Trojan’s live coverage of the 2010 NFL draft.

11:45 a.m.: With the 16th pick of the sixth round (No. 185 overall), the Seattle Seahawks selected USC tight end Anthony McCoy.

Analysis: When news broke that McCoy may have failed a drug test at the NFL combine, draft prognosticators predicted a precipitous fall down the draft board for the highly-touted tight end. With his draft stock falling fast, McCoy ended up landing into familiar arms — those of former USC coach Pete Carroll.

McCoy spent three years with the Trojans, racking up 46 career receptions, 731 receiving yards and three touchdowns. Many draft analysts predicted that McCoy would end up being a far better blocking tight end than receiving tight end, but deciding his role in Seattle’s offense is up to Carroll.

Carroll’s Seattle Seahawks selected the senior just hours after trading for another former Trojan, running back LenDale White.

10:52 a.m.: With the 14th pick of the fourth round (No. 112 overall), the New York Jets selected USC running back Joe McKnight.

Analysis: With Thomas Jones gone to the Kansas City Chiefs and Leon Washington traded to the Seahawks, the Jets were in need of another running back to compliment Shonn Greene. In free agency, the Jets picked up LaDainian Tomlinson, but the aging superstar won’t be able to carry a full load. McKnight can help spell Tomlinson, especially as the season draws to a close, and keep him fresh.

McKnight’s time with the Trojans was characterized by comparisons to a running back who proceeded him, Reggie Bush. Although he might not have reached the level of the Heisman Trophy-winning back, McKnight did spend three strong seasons with the team. McKnight leaves USC with 2,213 career rushing yards and 13 touchdowns. His final year in Cardinal and Gold was his most productive, rushing for more than 1,000 yards for the first time in his career and finding the endzone eight times.

Saturday, 10:10 a.m.: With the second pick of the fourth round (No. 100 overall), the Minnesota Vikings selected USC defensive end Everson Griffen.

Analysis: Griffen was expected to be off the draft board much earlier than the beginning of the fourth round, so the Vikings likely wanted to take a player who had been rated as a first round prospect leading up to the draft. The defensive end position is filled nicely in Minnesota with Jared Allen and Ray Edwards — who combined for 23 sacks last season — but it never hurts to get younger.

Griffen had three solid years with the Trojans, recording 82 career tackles and 16 sacks.

7:15 p.m.: With their compensatory selection (No. 98 overall) the Atlanta Falcons selected Alabama offensive guard Mike Johnson, bringing the day’s draft action to a close.

Four USC players were selected on the second day of the three-day NFL draft: Kevin Thomas, Charles Brown, Taylor Mays and Damian Williams. Among those still left on the board are defensive end Everson Griffen, running backs Joe McKnight and Stafon Johnson and tight end Anthony McCoy.

Tune back in tomorrow for more draft coverage and analysis from the Daily Trojan!

6:57 p.m.: With the 30th pick of the third round (No. 94 overall) the Indianapolis Colts have selected USC cornerback Kevin Thomas.

Analysis: The Colts let cornerback Marlin Jackson go to the Philadelphia Eagles in March, so restocking their defensive backfield became a viable option for their 2010 draft. Thomas can provide depth and skill to a secondary that has been weakened by cornerback Bob Sanders’ injury problems.

Thomas played for four years with the Trojans, but made his biggest impact after redshirting his junior season. During his final two years with USC, Thomas racked up a combined 61 tackles and three interceptions, one of which he returned for a touchdown.

6:35 p.m.: The Cleveland Browns have selected Texas quarterback Colt McCoy with the 21st pick of the third round (No. 85 overall). McCoy is the winningest college quarterback of all time, recording 45 victories during his time with the Longhorns.

6:10 p.m.: With the 13th pick of the third round (No. 77 overall) the Tennessee Titans selected USC wide receiver Damian Williams.

Analysis: Former USC linebacker and current Titans coach Jeff Fisher welcomes the Trojan wide receiver to an offense that lacks a true No. 1 receiving option to compliment the Titans’ strong running game. Tennessee’s receiving core — headlined by Kenny Britt, Justin Gage and Nate Washington — was unable to distract defenses from running back Chris Johnson, who still eclipsed 2,000 yards rushing on the season.

If Williams can help improve the Titans’ passing options, Johnson may be able to run more freely than against the eight-man boxes he saw in during the ’09 season.

5:31 p.m.: With the final pick of the second round (No. 64 overall) the Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints selected USC offensive tackle Charles Brown.

Analysis: New Orleans was not in desperate need of another tackle, but Brown gives the defending Super Bowl champs some flexibility and depth at the position. Brown was projected by many as a first round pick, so many will consider this selection a steal to close out the second round of the draft. Brown will compete for a starting role in an already strong unit.

4:24 p.m.: With the 17th pick of the second round (No. 49 overall) the San Francisco 49ers selected USC safety Taylor Mays. Mays is the first former Trojan off the board, and the lowest first Trojan selected since 2002.

Analysis: The 49ers were in need of a boost to an aging secondary that is led by 30-year old cornerback Nate Clements. Mays will have a chance to compete for a starting job immediately with San Francisco, who finished 8-8 last season.

Mays spent four solid seasons in the Trojan secondary and finished with 268 career tackles and five interceptions. Mays was also a three-time first team All-American selection at safety and was invited to this year’s Senior Bowl.

4:22 p.m.: With the 16th pick of the second round (No. 48 overall) the Carolina Panthers selected Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen. Many draft prognosticators believed Clausen would be selected in the first round, some even predicting he would be among the first ten players drafted.

4:15 p.m.: USC will not have a player selected in the top 45 of the NFL draft for the first time since 2002.

3:26 p.m.: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have selected UCLA defensive tackle Brian Price with the fourth pick of the second round (No. 35 overall), meaning a Bruin has been selected before a USC player for the first time since 2002.

That year UCLA linebacker Robert Thomas (No. 31) and UCLA running back DeShaun Foster (No. 34) were selected before USC cornerback Kris Richard (No. 85).

Friday, 2:59 p.m.: Day two of the NFL draft is about to begin, starting with the St. Louis Rams making the first pick of the second round (No. 33 overall). No USC players were selected in yesterday’s first round, but four or more former Trojans could be selected today. Follow along live with the Daily Trojan for complete coverage.

10:18 p.m.: Daily Trojan columnist Michael Middlehurst-Schwartz’s take on day one of the NFL draft:

“Pretty surprising that USC didn’t sneak a single guy in, but there were a lot of unexpected picks on the first day. Look for four USC players to be drafted in the second round.”

8:05 p.m.: The New Orleans Saints have selected Florida State cornerback Patrick Robinson with the 32nd overall pick of the NFL draft. That means that no USC players were selected in the first round — the first time that has happened since the 2007 NFL draft.

Thursday, 6:08 p.m.: Former USC coach Pete Carroll new team, the Seattle Seahawks, select safety Earl Thomas from Texas with the 14th overall pick. The Seahawks also selected offensive tackle Russell Okung of Oklahoma State with the sixth overall pick. The Seahawks have no more scheduled picks today, but trades are still possible. Stay tuned!