Subversive artist reminds riders of subway etiquette

Even if you are unfamiliar with subway systems like New York’s and our own here in Los Angeles, we can all relate to the irritation of being subjected to displays of rude public behavior.  Whether it’s on an airplane, waiting in line at the bank or even walking around the USC campus, perpetrators of the social faux pas are a reality of urban life.

After taking a survey of 100 subway riders to find out what inappropriate habits irritated them most, New York artist Jay Shells (aka Jason Shelowitz) transformed his findings into a slyly inventive series of mock public service announcement-style ads. Shells stealthily installed the campaign signs at various subway spots around the city, beginning with the 8th Avenue L station.

The signs imitate MTA posters — the design of their “MEA” insignia, which stands for “Metropolitan Etiquette Authority,” is an almost unnoticeable alteration of MTA’s actual logo — and although the mimicry technically constitutes a highly illegal breed of vandalism because of how nearly it resembles the signage of an official government department, the press has gone crazy singing the praises of the subversive artistic campaign.

Bright yellow and emblazoned with black typeface, the signs instruct readers in various elements of public transit etiquette including nail clipping, eating, religious lecturing, noise pollution, hygiene and seating priority. The explanatory messages are usually three to four sentences and, despite their sarcasm, have been unequivocally embraced by passengers and the press alike — after all, everyone can support a sign that instructs passengers to “keep your finger out of your nose. Please.”

You can view the signs here.