Shops at Gateway finalized

As students finish moving into their apartments at the new University Gateway this week, they can look forward to new neighbors in the coming months.

Easy access - University Gateway, located a few blocks from campus, opens this year for student housing and several businesses. - Tim Tran | Daily Trojan

Officials said 16 non-housing units are scheduled to open their doors this semester at the new complex, located at the corner of Jefferson Boulevard and Figueroa Street.

Matt Burton, principal of Urban Partners, the real estate agency overseeing Gateway, confirmed several businesses that will open on the first floor, including Yogurtland, Salad Creations, Seattle’s Best Coffee, JP Morgan Chase bank, STA Travel and Freebirds World Burrito, a 24-hour burrito eatery.

Burton said Urban Partners is in the process of acquiring two more restaurants. He was not able to disclose the names because negotiations are in the beginning phases with partners, but said one is a “New York-style pizza operator.”

Two local favorites, Subway and Soy Japanese Grill, will also join the dining options at Gateway.

Once these two eateries complete their move, their old locations will be replaced with other businesses, said Greg McCoy, the social media coordinator for Campus Apartments.

Along with the restaurants, bank and travel agency, Gateway will also accommodate a large 24-hour pharmacy.

Several USC schools will also have space in University Gateway. The Thornton School of Music will house a new 24-hour practice facility for music students on the first floor of the building.

This move, announced in late spring, angered some music students who will no longer be able to practice in the Music Practice and Instructional Center, which is now slated for demolition.

“I think everyone is kind of bummed that it’s not on campus,” said Will Sturgeon, a junior majoring in popular music performance. “But, it’s going to be great that we have a lot of space.”

The School of Public Policy and Development and USC’s Office of Real Estate and Asset Management will also have locations in Gateway.

Although the university has a presence within the building, Burton said members of the community will also benefit from the new amenities.

“I do expect lots of students as well as non-USC students to take advantage and benefit from all the new amenities,” Burton said. “Not only will it be a convenience for USC students but great for everyone in the surrounding area.”