Checcio appointed new vice president for advancement

After a 35-year-long career of fundraising for universities across the country, Albert Checcio, the new senior vice president for University Advancement, plans to uphold President C.L. Max Nikias’ vision for the future of USC by expanding the university’s fundraising campaign.

Money maker · Albert Checcio, now the senior vice president for university advancement, will help USC with its fundraising campaigns. - Brandon Hui | Daily Trojan

Checcio, who joined the USC staff on Aug. 23, will be responsible for working with Nikias, the Board of Trustees and academic deans to increase overall fundraising. He plans to ensure that alumni feel connected to the university, while also orchestrating fundraising efforts and procuring donations.

“My goals are simply to support the academic endeavors of the university. We have a brand-new president, a dynamic person,” Checcio said. “[Nikias’] goals and vision is to take USC to the top of the mountain academically. My job is to run a fundraising campaign that provides the financial support for that to happen.”

In addition to leading traditional fundraising, Checcio will also head the USC Alumni Association, said Elizabeth Garrett, interim senior vice president for academic affairs and provost, who will work closely with Checcio.

“He has the responsibility for making sure that all of the Trojan Family, once they leave, feels connected to the institution,” Garrett said. “He’s someone who has a lot of energy, and he has a very sophisticated background in modern fundraising.”

Checcio’s fundraising endeavors will benefit new building projects, endowments for professors and new research. His diverse background will help him achieve his goals in raising private support for the university, he said.

Checcio’s background spans a 35-year career in collegiate fundraising. Checcio has worked at a variety of universities, most notably Fordham University, American University and Temple University, where Checcio increased cash giving by 94 percent during a five-year period.

During his previous seven years at Fordham University, where he served as vice president of development and university relations, Checcio raised more than $335 million, $59 million of which was raised in 2009 alone.

Now at USC, Checcio plans to continue his record of success.

“There is a fantastic spirit that is on this campus … I can sense it because I’ve been on other campuses all over the United States and the world,” Checcio said. “Unquestionably, when you get to the top of the mountain, you want to make sure that you stay there and that your peers recognize that you belong there, and that’s what I think I can build on.”

Checcio, a Pennsylvania native and lifelong East Coast resident, believes that his diverse background at universities of varied sizes and dynamics can help him further the university’s a vision of academic and artistic excellence — but not without some challenges along the way.

“For me to make this change and come to a university like ’SC is a learning experience for me. It’s pushing my own boundaries a bit, culturally, professionally and personally,” he said.

Though pushing his boundaries, Checcio doesn’t feel the anxiety that one might experience after moving across the country. Being “new” to USC has a special meaning to him.

“It’s very easy to be a part of the Trojan Family,” Checcio said. “There is a level of pride here that you don’t find anywhere else, and I want to take that pride and spirit and focus it and direct it into helping ’SC be the best in higher education.”