USC welcomes visiting Trojan parents Friday

Parents weekend continues today with breakfast at 8 a.m. and an address by President C.L. Max Nikias.

The address will be held in Bovard Auditorium at 11 a.m.

Individual schools and colleges will host events, such as a Downtown walking tour with the School of Policy, Planning, and Development or an “Opera 101” class hosted by the Thornton School of Music.

“We partner with all of the schools on campus and all of the schools offer a program,” said Tina Orkin, assistant director of the Office of Parent Programs. “We think that helps parents see what’s going on, not only in the school where their child is studying, but in all of the schools on campus.”

The Stevens Institute for Innovation will hold a student innovator showcase today in the Von KleinSmid Center courtyard, starting at 11 a.m. and ending at 2 p.m.

At 5 p.m., University Public Relations will hold “Don’t Bother me, I’m Tweeting and Texting: Introduction to Social Media” in room 227 of the Ronald Tutor Campus Center.

On Saturday, students and parents will be able to kick off the football festivities at the Office for Parent Programs’ Saturday Tailgate at 1:30 p.m. in Alumni Park. The USC football game against Washington will begin at 5 p.m. in the Los Angeles Coliseum.

Visiting parents can use the Lyon Center and McDonald’s Swim Stadium for free on Friday and Sunday. Visitors must be 16 years of age or older.

Orkin said Parents Weekend was a valuable experience for students and parents each year.

“We’re lucky I think at USC because our constituency is not just freshman parents,” Orkin said. “We have parents who come back again and again so that encourages us to keep it fresh and up-to-date every year.”