USC-UCLA Women’s Soccer Live Blog

Tonight’s women’s soccer game at the Coliseum kicks off at 7:00 on the West Coast.  All updates will be timestamped with game time. Be sure to check out our Twitter feed for instant info at http://www.twitter.com/dailytrojan

First half

10th minute: The Bruins have had two shots on goal so far, while the Women of Troy have yet to attempt a shot on goal.  The Bruins are controlling possession  though and taking their time on offense.

20th minute: The Bruins seem to be much more disciplined with the ball. The Women of Troy have not had many opportunities offensively so far and have had problems controlling possession.

28th minute: The Women of Troy get a free kick and senior forward/midfielder Megan Ohai collides with Bruin goalkeeper Chante’ Sandiford, knocking in the ball through the posts, but the goal is waved off by the referee.

40th minute: The Women of Troy seem look alive now after that goal was waved off.  They’re controlling possession, passing better and putting pressure on the Bruin backline. They’ve had multiple scoring opportunities, but have yet to convert.

42nd minute: Miscommunication between the Bruins defense and goalkeeper almost leads to a Women of Troy score. Sandiford vacates the goal, but senior midfielder Alyssa Davila’s shot is stopped.

Halftime recap: The Bruins controlled the beginning of the first half, working the ball around both sides of the field and taking their time on offense.  On the other side, the Women of Troy started off slow to begin the game, but woke up after a Megan Ohai goal was waved off by the referee. Both teams did not have many scoring opportunities in the first half and both defenses held strong in limiting shots on goal.

Second half

3rd minute: After a Bruin foul, the Women of Troy get a free kick just outside the penalty box. Redshirt junior midfielder Ashli Sandoval knocks a shot to the left side of the goalpost but is denied by Sandiford.

After getting denied of a goal, Sandoval picks up a yellow card after tripping a Bruin player in the 5th minute of the half. The game is starting to get physical, but the referee is using his whistle to make sure this game doesn’t get out of hand.

Both teams are starting to pick it up offensively. A scramble in front of the Bruin goal leads to a Women of Troy corner kick in the 12th minute, but it is cleared by the Bruin backline. Midfielder Brittany Kerridge knocks a shot from about 30 yards out, but it is stopped by Sandiford. Three minutes later, the Bruins receive a free kick that leads to a corner kick, but the Women of Troy clear the ball and no damage is done.

In the 22nd minute, Bruins midfielder Chelsea Cline goes after a ball and Women of Troy goalkeeper Shelby Church vacates goal. Cline tries slide tackling to get to the ball, but is penalized with a yellow card. Five minutes later, there is a scramble in front of the Bruins net. The Women of Troy get their feet on the ball multiple times, but fail to score. In the 29th minute, Bruins defender Lauren Barnes is penalized with a yellow card after running through Sandoval’s follow through on her kick.

85th minute: The Women of Troy finally break through on offense after defender Karter Haug places a ball to the left side of the penalty box. Forward Autumn Altamirano knocks a shot to the top right post and over the outstretched hands of Sandiford to give the team a 1-0 lead, and the victory.