Trojans picks up commitment from three-star Palmdale product

Defensive end Steve Dillon, ranked the #46 defensive end in the class of 2011 by Rivals.com, committed over the weekend to play for USC next season.

Dillon is a senior at nearby Palmdale High, where he has made a name for himself on the defensive side of the ball.

The 6’3″, 260-pound lineman points to his visit during the USC-Washington game earlier this season as the turning point in his recruiting process. After the game, he was offered a scholarship by USC assistant coach James Cregg. Since then, he has attended every home game at the Coliseum.

“I love going to the games because I have never heard a louder stadium than USC. It’s so amazing; the whole crowd gets up and is all into it making noise,” said Dillon.

Dillon was offered scholarships by most of the Pac-10 schools as well as Utah, who will be joining the Trojans in the new Pac-12 conference next year.

The defensive end chose USC over the rest of his suiters because of the university’s academic prestige, location, and the chance it gives Dillon to play under defensive coordinator Ed Orgeron, who also serves as the team’s defensive line coach.

“When you are messing up he will let you know, and when you are doing good he will let you know,” he said of Orgeron. “I like coaches like that.”

“I just wonder how it is going to be on the field in my pads and stuff, just hearing the crowd go crazy,” said Dillon. “That’s going to be a great experience.”