Cuban seeks to create college football playoff system

Mark Cuban said in December that he was interested in funding the creation of a playoff system in college football.

Now he’s taken the first step in creating a true national championship by forming a limited liability company called Radical Football.

The company was created “to impact college football so that the last two teams playing are the best two teams,” Cuban said in an e-mail.

Along with Cuban, Scott Morris, a Los Angeles-based digital media consultant is closely working with him.

Last weekend, Morris was in San Diego representing Radical Football as a judge in a competition among college business students who pitched their plans to change the college football postseason.

To change or replace this system, the Cuban has suggested persuading college presidents by using financial incentives.

The billionaire entrepreneur said that he planned to contact school presidents and other power brokers to move the effort forward as well.

More recently, Cuban has also pondered the idea of having a mid-season playoff lead to a final championship game.

The college presidents and chancellors who oversee college football, however, oppose changing this system because they said it could undermine several significant parts of the game, including the regular season, the traditions and the revenues of the bowl system.

Currently, the major college football system comprises 35 bowl games and no playoff, while voters and computer formulas determine the top two teams to meet in a final Bowl Championship Series game.