Cameron shines at the combine

The NFL Scouting Combine is under way, and while much of the discussion has been directed toward standout quarterbacks, specifically Auburn’s Cam Newton and Missouri’s Blaine Gabbert, one former Trojan attracted some serious attention.

According to Adam Caplan of FOXSports.com, former USC tight end Jordan Cameron had the fifth-best performance on Saturday, the first day of workouts at this year’s combine in Indianapolis.

Jordan boasted an impressive time of 4.59 seconds in the 40-yard-dash, which was the second best time among tight ends. His three-cone time of 6.82 seconds ranked higher than anyone else at his position.

Caplan went on to praise Cameron for his notable size, (6’ 5 1/8’’ and 254 pounds) but added that it may take him a while to adjust in the NFL given his minimal experience at the tight end position.

Cameron’s only year as a tight end was last year. Prior to that, he served as a wide receiver. In 12 games during the 2010 season, he recorded 126 receiving yards, including one touchdown and six rushing yards.

Eight USC players were selected to participate in the combine. Besides Cameron, the other players included running back Allen Bradford, defensive tackle Jurrell Casey, defensive back Shareece Wright, offensive tackle Tyron Smith, center Kristofer O’Dowd, wide receiver Ronald Johnson, and fullback Stanley Havili.

The NFL combine runs through March 1.