University makes contact with students in Japan

All 17 students who were registered for programs in Japan this spring semester have been contacted by the Office of Overseas Studies in USC’s College Letters, Arts & Sciences following the 9.0 magnitude earthquake that shook the country, triggering a tsunami.

Tony Tambascia, executive director of the Office of International Services, wrote in an email that eight of the students’ programs have been cancelled by their host institution. They are now returning home.

The remaining nine students are on a semester break from their Japanese universities.

Most of the students reported they were traveling outside of Japan at the time of the tsunami, and a few remained in Tokyo.

Their host universities are still considering their immediate plans, but USC has advised its students to withdraw from their local programs and leave Japan as soon as possible.

“USC will assist them in any way possible with issues such as refunds of tuition costs, developing alternate academic plans, and even assistance with making travel arrangements for departing Japan if they have trouble doing so,” Tambascia wrote.

Tambascia encourages any students who are experiencing academic issues to contact their academic advisor or OIS to discuss the situation directly.

OIS has also been in contact with the USC Japanese Student Association and has asked the organization to remind its members about the support services available to students, whether they require help now or in the future.

These services include counseling services from Trojans Care for Trojans, Students Support and Advocacy and the Crisis Response Team.

For more coverage on the devastation in Japan, click here.