Dornsifes honored for their donation

The university recognized Dana and David Dornsife for their $200 million donation to the College of Letters, Arts, & Sciences in a re-naming ceremony at Bovard Auditorium on Wednesday.

Honored · Howard Gillman (left), the dean of the College, Dana and David Dornsife, and President C. L. Max Nikias stand together in Bovard. - Tim Tran | Daily Trojan

With more than 1,000 people in attendance, President C. L. Max Nikias, members of the Board of Trustees, senior administration, faculty and staff of the College of Letters, Arts, & Sciences, students and alumni honored Dana and David Dornsife for their donation, which is the singe largest donation in the university’s history.

“This moment in USC’s history is a connecting point when the College stands strong and is a mighty point of change,” said Edward Roski, Jr., chairman of the Board of Trustees.

Howard Gillman, dean of the newly named Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts, & Sciences, expressed his gratitude for the Dornsife’s donation.

“With more than 10,000 students, 700 faculty and 600 staff members, [the College] is really the beating heart of the university,” Gillman said.

Scott Soames, USC professor of philosophy, said he came from Princeton to teach at USC because he liked the university’s vision. He said the Dornsife donation encourages faculty and students to continue in the right direction to make this vision become reality.

Because of the nature and generosity of their gift, Nikias presented the Dornsifes with the University Medallion. In USC’s 164-year history, the only other University Medallion, awarded to those who have made incredible contributions to the university, was given to Walter Annenberg, who donated $120 million in 1993.

Through their donation, the Dornsifes have demonstrated their confidence in the USC administration, faculty and students.

“We’ve seen a continuity in the leaders of the university making the College a major part of USC,” David Dornsife said.

Their donation is the single-largest donation to a college of letters, arts and sciences at any American university.

“This unrestricted donation advances the cause of the College,” said Paul Barton, USC alumnus from the College’s class of 1984. “It’s always great to get another reason to love USC.”

1. Bruin_Herer
    Bruin_Herer says:

I agree with Andre’s points.

Now, me talk about some other things!

22% of USC’s incoming freshmen are legacy admits.

what a joke this school is. a degree mill of sorts. on par with the university of phoenix.

it’s interesting that US News & World Report ranks USC #22, but among colleges and universities all over the world, USC comes in at…”between 70 – 80″ UCLA you ask? #12

Have a nice day.

2. Richard
    Richard says:

Andre,

Expect people to respect you when you write WTF on your response to this and then speak to the President of the University and call him “hey Max”?

Very disrespectful and not a way to get people to care about your “point” or the way you responded to this and to the other blogger Paul.

Where is your heart, soul, manners and respect for others?

3. andre
    andre says:

Rockefeller College is a Residential College (dorm), like Trojan Hall or Birnkrant; it is common to name dorms after benefactors.

The others are Professional schools–again, totally common to name Professional schools after benefactors like Viterbi, Roski, etc.

John Harvard is Harvard.

USC College, whatever it is called, is the “College” of USC and why we would sell this is not understood by me.

The Dornsifes are exemplarary Alumni–their donation is transforming–would they not have done it without changing the name of the College within the University–only they know.

You have missed my point completely and are comparing apples and organes. You make such a ham-handed comparative arguement, I wonder if you understand contexts.

There is no anger, just disappointment, and this is certainly not a mud slinging match.

4. Paul
    Paul says:

Dear Andre,

Rockefeller College at Princeton University was named in his honor in 1982 due to donation from, you guessed it, John D. Rockefeller III. Harvard was named after John Harvard who donated half of his estate and his entire library to the school.

Ever hear of Wharton or Anderson School of Business?

This gift is going to do a lot of good for a lot of current and future students throughout the history of USC. I would think you would be proud of that fact, and proud that a fellow Trojan donated the money.

Where is all that anger coming from?

Very un-Trojan like.

5. andre
    andre says:

USC College no more–I guess my diploma just became obselete. Dornsife College? WTF?

Would Harvard, Princeton, etc sell their college’s name, the heart and soul of the university?

Hey Max, how much for Tommy Trojan?

What isn’t for sale?