Smurf cheer can keep the blues at bay

If you need a relaxing way to celebrate a successful move-in week, look no further to break in your new Mac DVD player or minuscule Ikea couch: The Smurfs puts a modern spin on a classic childhood favorite. Not only is it the beautiful lovechild of live-action and animation, but the comedy is also in 3D.

When evil wizard Gargamel (Frank Azaria) chases the Smurfs out of their village in an attempt to capture and use them as part of a spell to turn lead into gold, the Smurfs are magically forced through a portal, out of their world and into 21st century New York’s Central Park. With the help of Patrick (Neil Patrick Harris) and his wife Grace (Jayma Mays), the quirky and lovable team must find a way to get back to their village before Gargamel tracks them down again.

Oh, my Smurf, will they succeed? Or will it be the end for our blue friends? Special guest voices include Saturday Night Live‘s Fred Armisen and Kenan Thompson as Brainy Smurf and Greedy Smurf, Katy Perry as Smurfette, George Lopez as Grouchy Smurf and Paul “Pee-Wee” Herman Reuben as Jokey Smurf. As reported to prepare for his role as Grouchy Smurf, George Lopez did not drink coffee, made sure he had bad breath and chose the busiest time to get to the studio. The movie also gave birth to two new members, Crazy Smurf and Narrator Smurf.

The movie is so smurfing sweet you’ll have a smurfing time reliving your childhood days. To make the movie more suited to its PG rating, all curse words are replaced by the word “smurf.” There are pop culture references to Lethal Weapon, Braveheart, Brokeback Mountain, Midnight Cowboy and a musical number with the song “Walk This Way” by RUN-DMC.

The Smurfs is an adventurous tale of sparkles and joy, with a heartwarming message to love everyone for who they are and to believe in yourself. So “What do you get when you cross a Smurf with a cow?” Run to your local theatre and watch this fun, adorable movie to find out!