UC tuition plan could affect USC

The University of California system announced Friday a plan to increase tuition 8 to 16 percent annually over the next four years, a change that is expected to affect USC admissions.

If enacted, the proposal will affect the UC system’s ability to attract highly qualified students, USC Dean of Admission Timothy Brunold said.

“The [UC] system has long been considered a very good value,” Brunold said in an email. “But now the challenge will be for it to find ways to offer a high-quality and engaging experience within an environment of tight budgets and increasing demand.”

Brunold also said the increase in tuition could challenge UC students, while more financially secure institutions would be able to directly assist  students in financing their educations.

“Considering the steady fee hikes in the [UC] system, I would imagine that there are more and more students attending those schools who will need aid,” Brunold said. “USC is fortunate to have one of the largest university-funded financial aid budgets in the country so our ability to help students financially is not dependent on government funding or other outside sources.”

This move was prompted by the recent reduction in funding by the state of California for the UC system. The UC system’s state funding fell by $650 million to about $2.37 billion this year.

This increase in tuition proposed by the UC system Board of Regents will be used to expand academic programs and hire new faculty, according to a statement made by the board.

This proposed increase could cause tuition at schools in the UC system to rise to more than $22,000 over four years.

Many students said the tuition hike might change the popularity of USC in the coming years.

“The [UC] schools are supposed to be cheaper [than private universities], but if they are more expensive then more people won’t want to go,” said Rosemary Bearden, an undeclared freshman. “In addition, they could get more personal attention at a private university for a similar cost.

The vote on the tuition hike and budget for the UC school system is scheduled for November 2011.