Maxi skirts claim runways with innovation

Maxi skirts have taken the fashion world by storm. They can be pleated. They can be voluminous. They can be skintight. They all have one thing in common: They pack a big punch when it comes to making a statement.

Several seasons ago, the maxi dress made a comeback: a comfortable and stylish one-piece wonder. This season few trends have made such a splash on retail racks and style blogs as the maxi skirt has. This season has, and continues to be, about lengths ranging from ankle grazing to floor length in jersey and chiffon materials.

Ellen Noh, a senior majoring in communication who runs USC’s street style blog, “Style SC,” said the style has made a transition from laid back to high fashion recently.

“California has already embraced maxi skirts as a beach staple, but it hasn’t caught on as much in other places,” Noh said. “But in last spring, maxi skirts exploded all over runways of designers like Lanvin, Jason Wu, Michael Kors; now the maxi skirt isn’t just a beach outfit option anymore.”

Brightly colored skirts in green, orange or pink can be paired with a top of a different, but equally bright hue to create a colorblocking effect, whereas neutral tones can be worn with just about anything to create a neutral or contrasting look. Fearless fashion plates can try to incorporate other trends to take things up a notch.

You can also try a polka dot print, which can be small or large in any color.  This look is all about the unconventional, so go for mixing textures and/or colors when putting it together. For instance, a dark gray jersey skirt can be paired with a loose silk tank top and shoes of your choice.

A top paired with these skirts isn’t too heavy or big. The maxi skirt is a big silhouette for the bottom of your outfit. If you are big on the top and on the bottom, you will clutter your outfit with fabric.

Noh suggests opting for a skirt with a defined waistline or creating an hourglass silhouette by adding a belt.

The versatility of the piece is what makes it so appealing. It can be worn during the daytime with leather sandals, or at night with a pair of platform heels and a jacket. Leather and denim jackets work particularly well with any style maxi skirt and add just a touch of edge to the outfit.

To really maximize wardrobe wearability, a gathered skirt with an elastic waistband can be worn as a dress and cinched at the waist for a classic mid-calf length look reminiscent of the 1950s.

Invest in one and you can wear it into the fall, as well. Try pairing a light, flowy skirt with a rougher pair of combat boots and a chunky sweater to take a spring look into the colder months. Loose, cable knit sweaters (think of that cozy sweater from your grandfather’s closet, but updated) can keep you warm and looks snug juxtaposed with an airier bottom piece. Leather boots can be found in a variety of styles: lace-up, platform, suede, leather and peep-toe.

It all depends on how edgy you want to get.

Since it is such a strong and noticeable trend, it might not stick around long enough for it to be a worthwhile investment.

Instead of splurging on a designer item, go for either an inexpensive or mid-priced brand that you trust will last for the next couple of seasons.

Bottom line? When it comes to the maxi skirt, there is no one way to wear it.

1. another trojan
    another trojan says:

Why did you interview the author of Style SC? That blog hasn’t been updated since last May. Hardly a source.