Behind enemy lines: Washington

The last two times USC has met Washington on the gridiron, things did not end well for the Trojans. Former USC coordinators and current Washington coaches Steve Sarkisian and Nick Holt have gotten the better of the Trojans two straight years, notching a 16-13 win in Seattle in 2009 and a 32-31 victory in Los Angeles a year ago. USC will look to right the ship this Saturday against the Huskies, but this task will not be an easy one to achieve.

Washington is led by redshirt sophomore quarterback Keith Price. In his first season as the Huskies signal caller, Price has exceeded all expectations. The Compton, Calif. native is ranked 14th nationally in passing efficiency with a rating of 155.97.

This score, which is the NCAA equivalent of the NFL’s passer rating, ranks Price above some of America’s most highly touted quarterbacks including Oklahoma’s Landry Jones, Clemson’s Tajh Boyd and, Matt Barkley of USC. The Trojans’ secondary will certainly have their work cut out for them against one of the nation’s best on Saturday.

As is the case against most opponents, USC should have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. Matt Barkley and company should have a field day against the 113th ranked Husky pass defense. Washington is yielding 283 yards through the air per game, and Matt Barkley should be able to continue his special connection with Robert Woods and Marqise Lee.

Look for another shootout at the Coliseum this Saturday with two of the nation’s best quarterbacks on display. It’s Barkley vs. Price, Kiffin vs. Sarkisian — what more could you ask for?