Pair of Trojans to transfer

In a span of three days, two USC players have announced their intentions to leave the program despite a recent 10-win season.

Redshirt freshman wide receiver Kyle Prater confirmed Monday night he would transfer after arriving at USC in spring 2010 as an early enrollee. Prater’s announcement came soon after sophomore tailback Amir Carlisle obtained his release to transfer to Notre Dame.

Change of scenery · Freshman redshirt receiver Kyle Prater announced Monday he will transfer to either Northwestern or Wisconsin. - Carlo Acenas | Daily Trojan

“I will be transferring,” Prater said via Twitter. “I love my teammates, SC, my fans, athletic staff. Will always respect the coaches. God Bless.”

In two seasons with the Trojans, Prater was limited by nagging injuries, redshirting as a freshman in 2010 compiling just one reception for six yards last season.

The Illinois native, who was rated as the No. 3 overall prospect in the class of 2010 by Yahoo! Sports’ Rivals.com, will transfer to either Northwestern or Wisconsin, according to a report appearing in the Chicago Tribune on Tuesday. Because of NCAA rules, Prater will be forced to sit out the 2012 season should he transfer to a Football Bowl Subdivision school, but will be eligible to play in 2013 as a redshirt junior.

“He needs to be around his support group, and that’s his family,” Prater’s mother told the Tribune. “It will be either Wisconsin or Northwestern. I made sure he kept his academics up. He may have had other issues, but I made sure of that first and foremost. He will get his degree.”

Carlisle will transfer to Notre Dame, sitting out next season per NCAA rules, USC confirmed Monday.

The second-year tailback was similarly plagued by injuries in his first and only season with USC.

He appeared in five games, rushing for 118 yards on 19 carries and racking up seven receptions, including one for a touchdown in a 42-17 victory at Colorado on Nov. 4.

“This definitely was a family decision,” his father told the South Bend Tribune on Saturday. “It wasn’t just an Amir decision. We felt as though Notre Dame would be the best fit for him for the next four years.”

Last March, his father, Duane Carlisle, became the director of sports performance at Purdue, located in nearby West Lafayette, Ind.

The younger Carlisle considered Notre Dame during his recruiting process last January before eventually signing with USC.

Other players, such as senior defensive end Armond Armstead and redshirt junior wide receiver Brice Butler, are reportedly considering transferring as well. Since both players graduated in December, they will be able to transfer and to play immediately.

Armstead redshirted last season after not obtaining medical clearance to play after being hospitalized with an undisclosed medical condition last March.

Because of NCAA sanctions, USC can carry no more than 75 scholarship players next season.