Jill Biden to speak at University Park Campus

Jill Biden, wife of Vice President Joe Biden, is slated to speak about Joining Forces, an initiative aimed at supporting military families and veterans, on campus today.

The Department of Defense Education Activity has funded a four-year $7.6-million project based at the USC School of Social Work to address military students’ special needs for financial support. Building Capacity in Military-Connected Schools joined San Diego State University, several Navy and Marine school liaison officers and a consortium of eight school districts around San Diego.

Kim Becker, a graduate student in social work involved with the program, will also speak at the event. Becker, a 20-year military spouse and parent, created a school-wide celebration at Jefferson Middle of the Marine Corps birthday School to raise awareness about the differences between military and civilian culture.

“Military students bring strengths into their schools and have unique life experiences that often go unrecognized,” Becker said. “Military students need to be recognized because they are proud, honorable and an asset to our public schools.”

About 1.2 million military children are enrolled in civilian public school districts, according to USC News. Building Capacity’s principal investigator Ron Astor, a professor of social work and education, and Victoria Downs, an eighth-grader whose father was deployed, will also speak.