Scholars to use academics on global stage

This spring, the Dornsife Scholars Program will honor outstanding graduating seniors who have bridged academic achievement with concerns for positive human impact.

The new Dornsife Scholars Program, announced Wednesday, is named after Dornsife benefactors and USC trustees David and Dana Dornsife. The scholarship will recognize students with the capacity to improve lives throughout the world. The scholarship program is one of the first uses of the Dornsifes’ historic gift to the university, according to Vice Dean for Academic Programs Steven Lamy.

Thinking big · Approximately 10 students from the Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences who demonstrate a dedication to bettering humanity will be selected as the first class of Dornsife Scholars this spring. - Daily Trojan file photo

“It is important for the program to emphasize the notion of making a difference in the world, because that’s what the Dornsifes have done,” Lamy said. “They have dedicated their lives to making the world a better place, so we felt it was important to have that as one of the critical aspects of this scholarship program.”

The program seeks the same caliber of students who are recognized by current undergraduate scholars programs, including Renaissance Scholars, Discovery Scholars and Global Scholars, Lamy said. These pre-existing programs reward students who have pursued diverse academic disciplines, developed their own scholarly work or art or displayed academic success at USC and abroad.

“[Dornsife Scholars] will look for the same quality type of person [who] would apply for the current programs, but the characteristics we look for are a little different,” Lamy said.  “We want students who have high academic achievement, are majors in the Dornsife College, have a strong and challenging academic background, have taken advantage of research with professors and have taken advantage of study abroad opportunities.”

Dana Dornsife said the scholarship will allow students to use their education in a global context.

“Dave and I are thrilled that the Dornsife Scholars Program combines all of the best facets of education within Dornsife College with the opportunity to expand scholarly experience and apply it globally to create a true positive impact,” Dana Dornsife said.

Approximately 10 Dornsife students demonstrating academic excellence in the humanities, social sciences or natural sciences and a dedication to bettering humanity will be selected as the first class of Dornsife Scholars. The recipients will each receive $10,000 toward graduate or professional school studies.

“We see USC education as the first step, and we are trying to help students with the next step,” Lamy said.  “We want our students to continue their education and do well, so we will do anything we can to help undergraduates.”

The Dornsife College will hold information sessions about the program throughout the semester.  Applications are due April 1 and will be evaluated by a committee consisting of directors of undergraduate study and faculty members from the various programs within Dornsife.

Lamy said he envisions the Dornsife Scholars Program will forge a community among scholars and serve as a model for other schools at USC.

“We see this program as creating a community of essential future scholars and change agents who are out there impacting the world,” Lamy said.  “Our dream is to produce students who are not only USC grads and members of the Trojan Family, but also part of the Dornsife Scholars community.”