Gilbreath named Pac-12 Defensive player of the Year

For the third time in her career, senior guard Briana Gilbreath was named the Pac-12 Co-Defensive Player of the Year, as the leader of USC’s defensive efforts this season.

Getting defensive · Senior guard Briana Gilbreath has been the conference defensive player of the year the past three seasons. - Chris Pham | Daily Trojan

The Pac-12 announced the decisions after a panel of Pac-12 women’s basketball media members voted on the honors to recognize individual efforts this season.

Gilbreath earned Defensive Player of the Year in 2010, shared the award in 2011, and shares the award this year with senior forward Nnemkadi Ogwumike of Stanford, who was also named the Pac-12 Player of the Year.

Gilbreath leads the Women of Troy averaging 1.5 blocks, 1.5 steals and 5.2 defensive rebounds a game, while co-leading the offensive end with an average of 12.1 points per game and 13 double-doubles on the year.

By helping USC limit its opponents to 37 percent shooting from the field this season, Gilbreath and the team now stand at third place in the conference with a first round bye in the upcoming Pac-12 tournament.

She has also made her name among the USC all-time greats as sixth in steals, fourth in blocks and eighth in rebounds in school history.

The conference office also announced Gilbreath’s inclusion in the Pac-12 All-Defensive Team and the All-Pac-12 Team for the third consecutive year.

Alongside Gilbreath, fellow senior guard Ashley Corral notched her third straight All-Pac-12 Team award.

Corral ranks first in the conference for 3-point field goals made this season and holds the USC record in 3-pointers. She also leads the Women of Troy with 3.3 assists a game and ranks fourth all-time in USC history.