Police confirm arrest of junior forward Ari Stewart for marijuana possession

USC junior forward Ari Stewart was arrested for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia last month in Maricopa County, Arizona State University Police Department spokesman Jim Hardina confirmed to the Daily Trojan Friday morning.

Stewart, 21, was arrested by ASU police on Feb. 24 at 8:40 p.m. MST and released by the Maricopa County’s Sheriff’s Office the following day.

The USC men’s basketball team was in Tempe, Ariz., for a Pac-12 contest against Arizona State on Feb. 25. The Trojans had faced Arizona in Tucson on Feb. 23.

ASU submitted the case to the Maricopa County attorney’s office on Wednesday, requesting charges of marijuana possession and possession of drug paraphernalia be filed.

“I’m well aware of situation and have been for some time,” USC coach Kevin O’Neill said. “It’s an internal matter. Ari will suffer some consequences. I wish it wouldn’t have happened. I like Ari. It’s not an indication of his character or what kind of person he is.”

O’Neill would not specify what disciplinary actions Stewart would face.

Stewart, a 6-foot-7, 205-pound wingman, transferred from Wake Forrest to USC last April.

He sat out this season with the Trojans, per NCAA transfer rules. He would, though, be eligible to play next year and has been expected to help revive the program, which finished with a single-season record for losses with 26.

As a sophomore for the Demon Deacons in 2011, he averaged 8.5 points and 4.4 rebounds through 32 games. The previous season, he led the ACC in 3-point shooting, while averaging 7.3 points per contest.