Style meets students

When it’s time to go back to school — to leave behind summer jobs and endless weekends — a student’s first thought isn’t “What books do I need for class?” It’s “What do I wear?”

Student wants to look their best on campus. You never know if you’ll run into someone you want to impress or whether you’ll have a last-minute interview. Here’s a guide to dressing in style no matter the occasion.

Every autumn brings back the East Coast vibe of trim-cut coats and thick scarves, but here in sun-soaked Los Angeles, these styles must be adapted for beach weather. This fall’s trends are an amalgam of various decades: retro rockabilly, grunge that’s flashy-yet-classy and, of course, prep school minus the geek factor.

If there’s one material that’s on every student’s radar, it’s denim. No longer deemed an ironic throwback to the ’90s, it’s now used as a legitimate base for shirts, jackets and other outerwear.

Bold, eye-catching patterns are another trend. Does it make your head spin and your eyes strain? Go for it! Don’t be afraid to mix and match either, because it is très chic to throw together contrasting designs and colors — within reason, of course.

Best of all, our warmer climate allows for more laid-back, less- stuffy styles than other states, which makes for a playful transition into the harsh winter months of Los Angeles.

“L.A. fall fashion is very different than the average fall fashion,” junior Kate Lindemann, a psychology major and style guru from CollegeFashionista.com, said. “Many summer styles can be used in fall since it is hard to wear large coats and lots of knitwear at sunny USC.”

Similarly, pants no longer adhere to the standard black or denim mold. It’s all about bright colors, floral prints and paint splatters. Color trends for women point toward turquoise, burnt orange, pastels and also the use of peach as a neutral. Neon is also gaining popularity in shades that are softer and more understated than their rave-happy counterparts.

Dresses with cutout waists and short skirts with trains are also appearing on the streets; ladies can show off some skin while still staying classy. Lace dresses, which have gained popularity, will be conservatively cut but daring in color and print. When the occasion calls for something professional, tux pants look sophisticated — pair these with some printed pumps and you’re ready for the office.

For men, camel and burgundy seem to be on many designers’ radars, as well as navy-noir, an alternative to traditional black. Summer 2012 was the season of the vintage Hawaiian print, but this fall will herald the arrival of varsity jackets and ’70s-esque florals. On a more formal level, deconstructed jackets are a great way for men to look like they mean business while staying comfortable.

Speaking of outerwear, dressing warmly is a tricky topic in Los Angeles. The temperature definitely doesn’t drop it like it’s hot, but there are those rare days of rain and overcast skies that justify heavier clothes. Colder days this fall will call for graphic print and tie-dye sweaters, tweed coats and, of course, leather jackets.

For the fashion impaired, knowing what to buy, where to buy it, and how to assemble a look might seem overwhelming. Fortunately, there are plenty of style savvy Trojans here to help.

New onto the scene is Sophie Elkus [at right], a junior public relations major whose Angel Food Style blog keeps readers up-to-date on the latest trends in couture.

Perfect for USC students who have a passion for fashion, Elkus’ style catalogue reports on the latest in luxury brands and seasonal fads. Her blog incorporates elements from higher-end stores like LF with what Elkus describes as the casual “beach culture influence that creates a vibe not many other schools have.”

A website called VCuffs.com — founded and operated by recent USC alumnus Jay Roth — caters to the style-savvy man. Suits and other business attire are often best left simple and classic for the most office-appropriate look, but it’s never a bad idea to let accents show a bit of your personality.

At VCuffs, men can purchase custom-designed accessories that are, as Roth explains, “a statement and staple for any man, whether in the board room or out on the town.” Roth’s line of VCuffs, VTieClips and VSuspenders are available online and also at the USC bookstore; the V stands for Victory — fitting given his successful debut.

Once the sunny glow of summer fades, this fall promises more colors and patterns than the leaves on the trees. Don’t be afraid to make daring clothing choices because autumn is, after all, the season of change.