“Fashion’s Night Out” takes over the city

When the economy got tough and spending on clothing and accessories saw a sharp decline after 2008, the fashion industry had to step up its game.

Dress for less · As part of an iniatiative to combat the economy’s negative effect on spending, Fashion’s Night Out offers shoppers discounts, freebies and previews of fall trends. The Beverly Center is just one site of the event. – | Photo courtesy of Valentine Group L.A.

Vogue and the Council of Fashion Designers of America founded “Fashion’s Night Out: New York” in 2009, with an initiative to bring back fun to shopping on the night before the kickoff of New York Fashion Week.

With the apparel industry gaining back its momentum in recent years, fashion folks have even more reason to celebrate: On the evening of Sept. 6, thousands of stores across the United States will host special events.

Here is a rundown of what’s happening in Los Angeles.

Robertson Boulevard

In recent years, Robertson Boulevard has grown from a paparazzi mecca lined with local boutiques to a mainstay for L.A. flagships of European fashion houses catering to the Rodeo Drive shopper’s cool younger sister.

The Christian Louboutin store will be giving private tarot card readings, which might be worth a stop even though the shop is located several blocks north of most of Robertson’s activity. Along with offering manicures and trendy braided hairdos, Alice & Olivia’s store will have palm readers and a charm bracelet bar. And at Kitson, shoppers will be able to sip margaritas courtesy of Tortilla Republic while DJ Jordan Jones plays live.

In addition to having extended hours, many stores will also be giving away free gifts with purchases. 3.1 Phillip Lim will be handing out copies of Kill the Night — a Fall ’12 comic book — with every handbag sold. You can also check out events up and down the street at Chanel, Tory Burch, Intermix and BCBG, among others.

Melrose Avenue/Place

Stores ranging from the newest outpost of the Kardashian sisters’ boutique DASH to designer Vivienne Westwood’s upscale shop will be staying open late on Melrose for the night’s festivities. Balenciaga will unveil its limited-edition accessory collaboration, which guests can view while drinking champagne courtesy of the store,  with Vogue creative director Grace Coddington.

The recently opened Helmut Lang store will offer live music as well as a bite to eat and some specialty cocktails.

Los Angeles Magazine has teamed up with the Marc Jacobs and Marc by Marc Jacobs stores for a special night of shopping on Melrose Place.

And what stop on Melrose would be complete without a look at the famed Fred Segal, a boutique known for carrying up-and-coming men’s and women’s fashions?

Head over to The Standard, Hollywood hotel beginning at 10 p.m. for West Hollywood’s second annual FNO afterparty, where a free cocktail hour will be held poolside.

Beverly Center

For an evening of fun under one roof, head over to the Beverly Center, where West Coast Vogue editor Lisa Love, actress Lucy Hale and reality star-turned-model Kendall Jenner will kick off the festivities at 5 p.m. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa will even make a special address over live video.

Following the red carpet arrivals, fashion shows (hosted by Macy’s, Bloomingdale’s, True Religion and Forever XXI) will capture fashion lovers’ attentions.

Then it’s ready, set, shop. Freebies throughout the night include beverages from the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf at Bloomingdale’s, foot massages at Brookstone and mini makeovers at Guess. Retailers Aldo, BCBG and ANGL will also offer special discounts throughout the night so  that shoppers can stock up on the new fall collections without breaking the bank.

Whatever your favorite neighborhood, there is bound to be plenty going on. Stores at West Third Street, The Grove and Abbot Kinney Boulevard in Venice are also scheduled to host events, so join hands with fellow fashionistas and prepare to kick around in the highest of heels and most fabulous of outfits.

The only rule: Dress to impress.