Sororities should offer alternatives to accommodate high rush turnouts

Of the 1046 girls who rushed this semester, only 737 were offered bids from sororities. While some of these girls dropped out of the race on their own accord, countless others were disheartened after not receiving a bid.  As depressing as the situation is, asking sororities to offer more bids is not the solution.

I participated in rush this semester, but my goal wasn’t to join a particular sorority. I talked to a lot of girls during the process, and most of us were there for the same reason: we wanted a smaller, tight-knit community within the larger body of USC.

I witnessed many crying girls throughout the week – and, to be honest, was a bit of a mess myself at times. Joining a sorority has always been and will always be a stressful process, and many feelings are crushed along the way.

But suggesting that sororities offer bids to all who desire them is ultimately hurting the girls who elect to participate in rush. No, it doesn’t feel good to be dropped from a house you like – or dropped altogether. But most girls participate in the process to find a small group of girlfriends. If 200 more girls are thrown into the system, that small community becomes larger.

The 309 girls who started rush week and left without finding a sorority could pursue another social niche—joining a club, for example. But many girls are specifically attracted to the frequency of Greek activities, so a club is not a sufficient replacement. Sororities should offer those not accepted a more Greek-oriented alternative.

The houses could implement a system of “honorary” members—girls who would be invited to mixers and invites, but kept from the exclusivity of the house and chapter meetings.

The honorary members would repeatedly spend time with the same group of girls, providing them with the smaller community they previously desired. This would maintain the prestige of the house while still allowing more girls to participate in some of the big draws of Greek life.

1. Toluca Girl
    Toluca Girl says:

Not everyone is cut out to be in a top sorority like DG or Theta. I have often suggested to my sisters that SC should offer classes to freshman girls in make-up, hair, clothing and shoes for rush. Rush comes so early in the semester these classes may need to happen over the summer to truly be successful. It always amazes me how some girls show up for rush in outfits and make-up that would be more appropriate in a Vegas “Gentleman’s Club” than my sorority house. As for honorary members, I doubt any respectable Sigma Chi would date an honorary DG. Girls, you may need to settle for a lower tier house and lifestyle.

2. Lauren
    Lauren says:

I think it’s important to remember here that these are national organizations. The USC chapters can’t just disregard that and take on “honorary”members. And if these honorary members only get invited to mixers and invites, what is the purpose of having them? They don’t have to do any work but still get to go out and party? I can assure you that chapter is not a highly sought after exclusive part of greek life. If a girl wants to party with frats, she is free to do that every weekend on the row letters or no letters. If a house doesn’t invite a girl back, then they didn’t really want her. Period. There’s no need to have honorary members. What would that even say to girls? Sorry, you weren’t good enough to be a real XYZ but I guess you’re alright. Would more girls get bids if they were willing to accept bids from less popular houses? YES. Not every house at USC is at total right now AND there’s another sorority colonizing next fall. There is room for more girls to take part in greek life, some of them simply choose to not take some of those options.