Myspace updates website to attract users

Just when everyone thought Myspace was dead and gone, the social network site launched a new version of Myspace: Myspace.

Although the name for the upgraded Myspace has not changed at all, the website has a completely different design. Deviating from its old blue and orange layout, Myspace is now sleek and – dare I say it – a work of art.

On their current homepage, the new Myspace makes it clear who they are targeting by saying, “So whether you’re a musician, photographer, filmmaker, designer or just a dedicated fan, we’d love for you to be part of our brand new community.”

The way the new Myspace is formatted also specifically caters to this creative audience. Imagine Pinterest, Tumblr and Facebook rolled into one site. Now sprinkle a little hipster dust onto this social media Frankenstein and you’ll get the new Myspace.

But let’s face the facts. Even though Justin Timberlake has created a ton of buzz by tweeting about website and even though the new Myspace is a digital aesthete’s dream, will it actually take off? With Facebook having recently reached its one billion active user mark, it seems like the new Myspace is going to have a lot of catching up to do.

And let’s also consider the fact that the name “Myspace” carries a virtual stigma. Bring up Myspace in a conversation and I guarantee you will elicit a couple of grimaces from your friends.

But maybe Myspace has changed for the better. Maybe it’s time that we give it a second chance. After being the butt of social network jokes for so long, this could be Myspace’s opportunity to redefine itself and social networking. The new Myspace might even take the virtual world by storm and become a second Facebook. Who knows?