Obama attracts Trojans at LA Live

President Barack Obama stopped in Los Angeles on Sunday to speak at his star-studded “30 Days to Victory Concert” at LA Live.

More than 6,000 people packed the Nokia Theatre to hear an all-star lineup of musical acts including Katy Perry, Jon Bon Jovi, Stevie Wonder and Earth, Wind & Fire.

Actor George Clooney, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and San Antonio, Texas Mayor Julian Castro — the keynote speaker at the Democratic National Convention — also spoke.

“They just perform flawlessly, night after night,” Obama said of the performers. “I can’t always say the same.”

He was referring to his debate performance last week with Republican challenger and presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

With that comment Obama joined a large group of politicians, comedians and critics who have poked fun at his lackluster debate routine.

Obama gave his standard campaign speech — slamming Romney for proposed tax cuts and plans to end funding for public broadcasting. He also highlighted the new 7.8 percent unemployment rate as the lowest during his presidency.

“Everybody always remembers the victory, but they don’t always remember the bumps in the road. … Things always look good in retrospect,” Obama said, reminiscing on his 2008 campaign. “But in the middle of it we made all kinds of mistakes. We goofed up. I goofed up. But the American people carried up forward.”

Tickets for the “30 Days to Victory Concert” ranged from $44 to $2,500 each. The concert’s affordability and its proximity to USC attracted several students.

Kaya Masler, president of Trojans for Obama, attended the event with about 20 other USC students, some who earned volunteer tickets from the Obama campaign.

“Moving forward from last week was good,” she said. “It was great that he was able to acknowledge his own goof but continue to pound his message and motivate his base.”

Campaign officials announced that free transportation, gas and hotel stays would be provided to any groups of 12 or more that would canvass for Obama in Nevada.

Nevada is a key swing state that Democrats and Republicans need to clinch a victory in November.

Trojans for Obama, a USC student organization, will be traveling to Las Vegas the next two weekends to canvass and register voters.

Joshua Carroll, a sophomore majoring in broadcast journalism, immediately bought his ticket last month for the “30 Days to Victory Concert” with about five friends.

“This event was so close to campus that I knew I couldn’t miss it,” Carroll said.

Carroll, his roommate and a few others rode the Metro train line Downtown to attend the event.

“This was my first time seeing the president, and this election will be my first time voting,” Carroll said.

It is estimated that Obama’s L.A. events pulled in as much as $7 million. He will inaugurate the Cesar E. Chavez National Monument in Kenne, Calif. on Monday afternoon, then travel to San Francisco for another star-studded concert with John Legend.