Dean hires new head of advancement

Neil Macready, who helped create the USC Wrigley Institute for Environmental Studies and the USC Dornsife Board of Councilors, was appointed senior associate dean for advancement in the USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences effective Dec. 10.

Macready, a USC alumnus, currently serves as vice president for university relations at the University of Redlands but previously worked at USC for nine years, according to a statement released Wednesday. During his time at USC, Macready worked as USC Dornsife’s director of development from 1995-1999.

Dornsife Dean Steve A. Kay said Macready’s past experience will help Kay work more effectively.

“With more than 30 departments and programs and dozens of research centers and institutes, USC Dornsife requires a broad range of fundraising skills and experience,” Kay said in the statement. “As a USC Dornsife alumnus and a 27-year advancement professional, I believe Neil is perfectly suited to lead our Office of Advancement toward exciting new heights.”

Macready’s responsibilities include improving the possible-donor pool for major gifts and advising USC President C. L. Max Nikias and other senior administrators.

“We look forward to his leadership of the USC Dornsife advancement program and his contributions to USC’s overall fundraising efforts,” Al Checcio, senior vice president for university advancement, said in a statement.

USC launched a $6 billion fundraising campaign last September — the largest fundraising campaign in American higher education at the time of the announcement.

Macready received bachelor’s degrees in political science and geography from USC in addition to a master’s degree in sports management at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. During Macready’s senior year at USC, he served as captain of the men’s swim team.