Barkley, Lee named Player of the Year semifinalists

USC senior quarterback Matt Barkley and sophomore wide receiver Marqise Lee were named to the Walter Camp Foundation’s 15-player “Watch List” for the Walter Camp Award, which is given to college football’s Player of the Year.

Barkley and Lee are two of four Pac-12 players on the list, the most for any conference, along with Oregon running back Kenjon Barner and UCLA running back Johnathan Franklin. Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel is the only freshman on the list. Georgia’s Jarvis Jones and Notre Dame’s Manti Te’o are the only defenders.

USC players have received the most Walter Camp Awards of all-time with six wins. O.J. Simpson won twice in 1967 and 1968, Charles White won in 1979, Marcus Allen in 1981, Matt Leinart in 2004 and Reggie Bush in 2005. The most recent winner was Stanford’s Andrew Luck.

The list will be cut to five finalists on November 28.

Barkley has thrown for 2,972 yards and 33 touchdowns, which make him second in touchdowns in the  NCAA. Lee has 98 receptions for 1,447 yards and 13 touchdowns, leading the NCAA in receptions and yards and is third in touchdowns. Recently, Lee has established himself as a Heisman candidate with Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein, Oregon’s Barner, Texas A&M’s Manziel and Notre Dame’s Te’o. All of the previously listed players are also eligible for the Walter Camp Award.