Memorials honor two students

Memorial services were planned this week in honor of the recent deaths of juniors Xinhai Huang and Samuel Levine.

The memorial service for Levine was held Monday night at 10 p.m. at the Sigma Chi fraternity house, where the brothers of Sigma Chi held a candlelight vigil in Levine’s honor.

In memoriam · About 300 students gathered Monday at the Sigma Chi Fraternity on The Row to honor Sam Levine, a junior who died in Mexico. - Austin Vogel | Daily Trojan

In memoriam · About 300 students gathered Monday at the Sigma Chi Fraternity on The Row to honor Sam Levine, a junior who died in Mexico. — Austin Vogel | Daily Trojan

The memorial service for Huang will take place today at 5 p.m. in Room 450 of the Ronald Tutor Campus Center.

Huang, a 22-year-old junior majoring in electrical engineering, died March 18 in a two-car collision about five miles southwest of the University Park Campus.

Viterbi School of Engineering Dean Yannis Yortsos said Huang’s death was tragic for both his family and the Trojan Family.

“We grieve for a promising life cut short, and for his parents who have lost their son,” Yortsos said in a statement.

Levine, a 22-year-old senior majoring in psychology and a member of the Sigma Chi fraternity, died March 19 while on vacation in Cabo San Lucas, according to a statement released by Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences Dean Steve Kay.

“Sam touched so many of us here at USC with his talents and ambition,” Kay said in the statement. “We all grieve for his incredibly promising life that was tragically cut short.”

Both statements urged students, staff and faculty seeking support to contact Student Counseling Services or the Center for Work and Family Life.

Students who would like to schedule an appointment for grief counseling can make an appointment by calling Student Counseling Services at (213) 740-7711 or the Center for Work and Family Life at (213) 821-0800 during business hours.