Freshmen continue to make strides for Trojans

The USC football team practiced with full contact for the first time Thursday. This was easily the Trojans’ most energetic practice this spring and the energy translated into tough, intense play on both sides of the ball.

Rapidly improving · Freshman early admit quarterback Max Browne (above) threw two touchdown passes during Thursday’s full-pads practice, including one to junior wide receiver George Farmer (not pictured).  - Austin Vogel | Daily Trojan

Rapidly improving · Freshman early admit quarterback Max Browne (above) threw two touchdown passes during Thursday’s full-pads practice, including one to junior wide receiver George Farmer (not pictured). — Austin Vogel | Daily Trojan

The Trojans were without the services of junior wide receiver Marqise Lee as well as senior running back Silas Redd. Though Lee is slated to return within the next two weeks, Redd is expected to miss practice until fall.

Redd’s absence has led to increased reps for the other running backs on the team, but it was true freshman and early-admit running back Justin Davis who made his presence felt on the practice field.

Davis, who broke his finger prior to spring break, had not seen much action on the field but returned in a big way Thursday, exploding for two long touchdowns during contact drills. His efforts earned him MVP honors for the practice from head coach Lane Kiffin.

Davis praised Kiffin’s efforts in his development from a runner who ran purely off physical ability to a more cerebral back who relies on technique and reading blocks.

“College is 10 steps harder than high school,” Davis said. “In high school, I just got the ball and ran to the open hole. But now it’s way more technical. Those holes close up so quick — you’ll get a backside linebacker coming and he’s ready to clean your clock.”

Thursday was also a strong showing for Davis’ fellow freshman, quarterback Max Browne. After throwing two interceptions in a shaky practice two weeks prior, Browne had two deep touchdown throws Thursday, including a tight-spiraling rainbow that fell into the mitts of junior wide receiver George Farmer. Kiffin expressed pleasure with Farmer’s progress as well.

“We need George to make the hard plays down the field,” Kiffin said. “To go up and get the ball, take it away and be physical. We know how fast he is, we know he can run by people, but you gotta make those plays and he’s doing that, which is great.”

Despite all the progress on the offensive side of the ball, Thursday was another showcase for the defense. Freshman safety Su’a Cravens played tirelessly in first-team reps and turned in another strong effort in practice.

“Today there was a lot more intensity,” Cravens said. “Coach told us before practice we’re going live. Going live means we’re going to hit, so the whole defense was hyped up.”

The incoming freshman class as a whole seemed significantly more comfortable. Cravens’ defensive teammate and freshman defensive tackle Kenny Bigelow was also impressive in his reps.

“I’m definitely starting to feel more comfortable,” Bigelow said. “I’m getting acclimated to the system so it’s allowing me to play faster and more physical.”

The defense seemed to be gelling as a unit — toward the end of a high-energy practice, the first team cheered on the second unit as the latter made some key stops in the red zone during full-contact run-throughs. Kiffin pointed to the leadership of returning players as being partially responsible for the days’ defensive intensity. The efforts of redshirt junior linebacker Hayes Pullard have especially been noticeable.

“I think it started to happen in the bowl practices — I think [Pullard] made the decision that this was going to be his defense,” Kiffin said. “He made a decision to be more vocal and you can see him taking over.”

After a rough start to spring that has been characterized with injuries to some of the team’s most talented players, the identity of the football team — especially its intense, physical defense — seems to finally be taking shape.