Women of Troy earn win against Ducks

The USC women’s lacrosse team got off to a strong start in the month of April, looking to end a three-game losing streak and turn things around after a 3-6 March. They fought hard against a defensive-minded Oregon squad, ending their slide and keeping the Ducks winless in conference play with a 12-10 win on Thursday in Eugene, Or. The win also came at the first lacrosse game live-broadcasted on the Pac-12 Network.

The Women of Troy (6-8, 3-2 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) were led by freshman attackers Caroline de Lyra, who finished with three goals and three assists, and Caroline Cordrey, who scored four goals on seven shots. Freshman midfielder Haleigh Dalmass and freshman attack Paige Bonomi added two goals apiece, with Bonomi assisting on another goal.

Oregon’s (5-6, 0-2 MPSF) Hayley Millner led all scorers with five goals on six shots. Shannon Propst assisted on three goals.

“This was a great win for us,” head coach Lindsey Munday said. “Obviously, a conference win is always important. This really was the first game in which we played a full 60 minutes where every single player played a major role in securing the victory.”

After both teams scored their first goals within 45 seconds of each other, each team alternated scoring runs. USC scored the next two goals, followed by three unanswered from Oregon to take a 4-3 lead. The Women of Troy fought back to take a 6-4 lead thanks to de Lyra’s two goals and one from freshman midfielder Amanda Johansen, before Oregon came back to tie it back up. Cordrey’s second goal, a free-position goal with 40 seconds left in the half, put the Women of Troy back ahead 7-6 entering halftime. USC was ultimately outshot 12-9 by the Ducks.

The back-and-forth nature of the game would continue in the second half, with the Ducks’ Millner scoring a pair of early goals to give Oregon an 8-7 lead. USC followed up with another three unanswered goals, two of them from Cordrey, to take a 10-8 lead, before Oregon came back and tied it at 10 with 11:26 remaining. Dalmass’ second goal broke the tie, while de Lyra’s third with 1:51 remaining sealed the win for the Women of Troy.

“Caroline [de Lyra] was challenging in, and I saw my defender turn away, and I just went to goal and Caroline made a great pass to me,” Dalmass said. “She is a great, great feeder and she just made a great pass on that play.”

USC outshot Oregon 11-7 for the second half and 20-19 for the game. USC committed six turnovers compared to Oregon’s five, although USC won in both ground balls (7-4) and draw controls (12-11).

The Women of Troy will play the remainder of their regular season in California against conference opponents, starting with a pair of home games against California (6-4, 3-0 MPSF) on Friday, April 12, at 3 p.m. and Fresno State (2-8, 0-3 MPSF) on Saturday, April 20, at 3 p.m. USC will then conclude the season on the road against San Diego State (7-4, 2-1 MPSF) on Saturday, April 27, at 7 p.m.