French DJ Breakbot mixes feel-good vintage sounds

When you think of a DJ these days, the image of a ego-laden twentysomething in shades jumping to throbbing chaotic beats might come to mind.

Spinning style · French DJ Thibaut Berland, known in music circles by his stagename Breakbot, mixes upbeat sounds that are easy on the ears. Berland is most well known for his international hit “I’m Yours.” - Courtesy of Marco Dos Santo

Spinning style · French DJ Thibaut Berland, known in music circles by his stagename Breakbot, mixes upbeat sounds that are easy on the ears. Berland is most well known for his international hit “Baby I’m Yours.” – Courtesy of Marco Dos Santo

But Thibaut Berland, who recently wrapped up his first tour in America, has a colorful background and distinct style that separates him from many perpetuated DJ stereotypes.

Known as Breakbot to his fans, the French DJ started experimenting with music when he was six years old, but at that age, he was an artist in more ways than one.

“When I was a kid, I loved drawing,” Berland said. “I studied graphic design in college. I even started working in film.”

The covers for Berland’s EPs are testaments to his eye for design. A cartoon version of the artist wearing a regal velvet cloak graces the front of his EP Fantasy, while 1 out of 2 features a plastic-doll version of Berland, nearly identical to the DJ in real life.

Berland also played a role in the creative development of the music video to his most popular song to date, “Baby I’m Yours.” The video, composed of 2,000 hand-drawn watercolor images painted in succession, is vivid and mesmerizing.

Despite his multifaceted artistic talents, he eventually realized that his heart was in music.

“I kind of always wanted to do music. I think I was meant to do it,” Berland said.

So, it almost seemed to be fate when he crossed paths with Justice, a French electronic duo from the French music label Ed Banger Records.

“I was at the right place at the right time. Once I graduated from the graphic design school in Paris, I started making music in my apartment. One night, I heard Justice and loved what I was hearing,” Berland recalled. “They were doing some sort of new genre, a new sound, and I was really impressed so I tried it out myself. I was introduced and soon enough my first remix was released by Ed Banger.”

With support from the Ed Banger label, Breakbot was born. The name, a portmanteau of the words robot and break, represents how Berland relies upon his expansive knowledge of music and his wide range of creativity to pump out his own music — be it original or remixed tracks.

It’s no wonder then that Berland, who has an undeniable natural talent, was signed onto Ed Banger Records so quickly. Using synths that are easy on the ears, upbeat rhythms and catchy choruses, Berland infuses a certain happiness into his music that’s different from the usual head-banging riffs and potty-mouthed lyrics found in contemporary music.

Berland’s lyrics, which are sung by artists he collaborates with, are innocent and even sweet to some extent — reminiscent of days when music didn’t have such  explicit lyrics.

His influences undoubtedly contribute to his small but quality body of work. “I have many, many influences, but the main ones are Hall & Oates, Prince, Daft Punk and Justice,” Berland said.

Since Berland doesn’t do any of the singing himself, he works with other artists, which helps to make each of his songs stand out from one another.

On the record, Berland worked with three different singers. The main one is Irfane, the singer on ‘Baby I’m Yours.’

“We met through mutual friends, and there was a song called ‘Sweet Nights’ [which he sang], and I was really impressed by his voice,” Berland said. “I met him at a concert in Paris three or four years ago and I asked if he wanted to collaborate. He said yes, and we’ve been friends since.”

Berland has worked with artists from all over the world. Berland said he doesn’t necessarily have a set number of artists he wants to work with, but rather he seeks out other creative thinkers who inspire him.

“I would love to make more collaborations, mostly [with] singers. But it would certainly be wonderful to make more and more collaborations, to share music,” Berland said.

Considering that Berland draws some of his own inspiration from Los Angeles, a collaboration with an artist in the area might be in the works, someday.

“[In L.A.], we had a few days off, so we went to vintage shops, looking through records. … I love L.A. We’re thinking about living there for a few months this winter. Either around Echo Park or Hollywood,” Berland said.

Even though Berland’s fame has surged over the past year, he still conveys a certain earnest, humble quality when he talks about his own work.

“As long as they react to the music, that’s OK with me,” he said. “I don’t want anyone to be bored. As long as they feel something, that’s pretty cool.”