Alumni honored at 80th annual awards ceremony

More than 600 alumni gathered Saturday night in Downtown Los Angeles’ Westin Bonaventure Hotel for the 80th Annual Alumni Award, honoring seven outstanding alumni for their achievements and service to the university.

The Asa V. Call Alumni Achievement Award, the highest alumni honor, was given to ’84 Marshall School of Business alumnus Frank Fertitta III.

Recognition · Asa V. Coll Alumni Achievement Award recipient Frank Fertitta III, ‘84, delivers his acceptance speech Saturday night. - Corey Marquetti | Daily Trojan

Recognition · Asa V. Coll Alumni Achievement Award recipient Frank Fertitta III, ‘84, delivers his acceptance speech Saturday night. – Corey Marquetti | Daily Trojan

Fertitta joins the ranks of past recipients including school namesakes Ronald Tutor, Andrew Viterbi, Gordon Marshall, as well as Neil A. Armstrong.

“I have always been proud to be a Trojan. I am humbled and honored to be in the company of the distinguished past recipients of this award,” Fertitta said.

The event atmosphere, inspired by the Hollywood Bowl, featured live music by the Chamber Singers and a jazz quartet from the Thornton School of Music.

Fertitta praised his alma mater for its progress throughout the decades, emphasizing his appreciation with a “fight on” to the audience.

“USC is a great institution — we all know that,” Fertitta said. “I have been amazed to see the progress since I graduated. Not just in terms of physical facilities [and] the campus itself, but more importantly in terms of the excellence of the academic programs.”

Geraldine Knatz, who received her master’s degree in 1977 and doctorate degree in 1979 and is the first female executive director of the Port of Los Angeles, was one of the honorees of the Alumni Merit Award, which is given to those whose accomplishments reflect the range and quality of the university’s education.

“Once at USC, I was hooked,” Knatz said of the university in her acceptance speech.

Knatz, who received her master’s degree in environmental engineering and doctorate degree in biological science, was responsible for creating and implementing the San Pedro Bay Ports Clean Air Action Plan, which has reduced port emissions by 60 percent.

Mark Ridley-Thomas, a member of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors for the 2nd District, was also a recipient of the Alumni Merit Award. With a doctorate degree in social ethics from the university, he spearheaded the opening of the new Martin Luther King Jr. Hospital.

Alumni Barbara Cotler, Linda Givvin and Jerry Neely received the Alumni Service Award, which is given to those who demonstrate outstanding volunteer efforts on behalf of USC.

Cotler was recognized for establishing the Ken Cotler Scholarship fund, which is given to the most outstanding bands member of the Spirit of Troy. Together, both Cotler and her husband established WITFAWN Tours, a travel firm that has grown to serve nearly 2,000 Trojans.

Givvin was recognized for her work as a member of the university’s Alumni Association Board of Governors and as a past president of the Town and Gown of USC.

Neely, a member of the university’s Board of Trustees since 1981, was recognized for his work with the Marshall School of Business and for creating with his wife the Jerry and Nancy Neely Chair in American Enterprise. Both he and his wife endowed two chairs in the Marshall school.

In recognition of alumni under the age of 35 who have had outstanding achievements, the Young Alumni Merit Award was presented to six-time Olympic medalist swimmer Rebecca Soni.

Soni, an ’09 graduate from the Annenberg School of Communication and Journalism who most recently won gold and silver medals at the 2012 Olympic Games in London, was acknowledged for her work as a supporter for the United Nations Foundation’s Girl Up campaign. The campaign encourages girls to become world leaders by raising awareness and funds for United Nations programs.

Soni attributed her success to the unrelenting support she received from the Trojan Family.

“I felt your [Trojan Family] commitment,” Soni said to the audience. “Your pride in me has lifted me up and given me so much joy. Sharing my accomplishments with you has really made everything feel twice as strong. Sometimes I didn’t know if I was racing for team USA or team USC.”