USC suffers sweep to rival UCLA

When USC and UCLA took the field this weekend for their annual three-game clash, it was hard to envision two more different teams and programs. Here were the Bruins (37-15, 20-7), ranked No. 8 in the country on pace to win 40 games for the fourth time in five years with seven postseason appearances in the past nine, including trips to the College World Series in two of the last three years.

Welcomed addition · After transferring from UPenn, senior outfielder Greg Zebrack has helped pace an otherwise young USC offense. He currently ranks second on the team with a .337 batting average across 51 games.  - Natalie Qasabian | Daily Trojan

Welcomed addition · After transferring from UPenn, senior outfielder Greg Zebrack has helped pace an otherwise young USC offense. He currently ranks second on the team with a .337 batting average across 51 games. – Natalie Qasabian | Daily Trojan

Then there were the Trojans (19-33, 11-17), with just one winning season in the last decade, on pace for the least number of wins by a USC baseball team since the 1985 squad went 22-44.

And so the Bruins’ three-game sweep of the Trojans hardly came as a surprise. UCLA will in all likelihood host a regional and has a legitimate shot at a top-8 seed and the chance to host a super regional, while the Trojans have nothing to play for. Or so it would seem.

The lessons drawn from this series seem endless. Looking at the stat sheet alone, UCLA doesn’t seem like a team that should be one of the favorites to reach Omaha. The Bruins hit just over .250 as a team, which is second-to-last in the Pac-12. Their 256 runs scored put them sixth in the conference. Their pitching is better, but not special. Of their four starters, only one has an ERA below 2.50.

“We really don’t think they’re that much better than us,” USC senior outfielder Greg Zebrack said. “We easily could have won those games and if it wasn’t for [UCLA shortstop Pat] Valaika playing his brains out, we might have won all three.”

Valaika and Bruin third baseman Kevin Kramer were amazing defensively all weekend. On Friday, Valaika made a leaping catch to snag a would-be game-tying base hit away from Zebrack with two outs in the seventh. The Bruins won that game 2-1.

On Saturday, Valaika made three fantastic plays to end the seventh, eighth and ninth innings, saving at least a pair of runs in the process. UCLA won that game 7-6.

“I don’t think their pitching beat us. I don’t think their hitting beat us. I think the left side of their infield beat us,” said USC head coach Dan Hubbs. “Kramer and Valaika won the series. I thought we hit the ball harder than they did and strung together really good at-bats. But when you play really good teams, it comes down to such little things. A play, a pitch, a hit. And they were just a little better, so tip your hat.”

To put it in baseball terms, the Bruins simply made the plays, which is something the youthful Trojans and their 16 true freshmen have struggled with this year. On Sunday, which was Senior Day at Dedeaux Field, the Trojans started five freshman, including on the mound.

While the youth of the team has been tough to watch at times this year, there is no denying there is talent, even among the sometimes-ugly growing pains.

“I knew we were gonna go through some trials and tribulations because of our youth and inexperience,” Hubbs said. “But I am excited. I was excited about it from day one.”

Hubbs then proceeded to list every player he was excited about for next season, based on the strides they made in this one. He mentioned 16 names, and every one of them was legitimate.

“At the beginning of the season it was tough,” said senior second baseman Adam Landecker. “But as the season got on a bunch of freshman got quality experience, and they can really help the team next year. So it should be fun to watch.”

But there are still three games left this year as the Trojans wrap up their season with defending national champion Arizona this weekend in Tucson, Ariz. Like the Bruins this year, the Wildcats weren’t the most eye-popping bunch of players when they won in Omaha a year ago. But they found a way to win, something the Trojans can learn from.

“It’s really contagious,” Zebrack said of a winning culture. “Once you know how to do that, you just get it done. You just make the plays. And it makes everyone grow up a little bit faster.”

Growing up fast is exactly what the Trojans need to do.