Nwanebu named Pac-12 freshman of the week

USC women’s volleyball freshman outside hitter Ebony Nwanebu was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Week on Monday for her performance in the Women of Troy’s season-opening Mortar Board Premier tournament victory in West Lafayette, Ind.

In wins over No. 16 Purdue, No. 21 Western Kentucky and Alabama A&M, Nwanebu averaged 3.75 kills, 1.12 blocks and 4.44 points per set for the No. 4 Trojans (3-0) and was selected to the all-tournament team.

Nwanebu made her presence felt in her first collegiate match with a team-high 15 kills and eight blocks in USC’s win over host Purdue. The nation’s No. 1 recruit in the class of 2013 had 20 points and hit .424 with just one error to help the Women of Troy topple the Boilermakers in four sets.

In the next match against Western Kentucky, Nwanebu again led the team with 13 kills on 24 swings for a .458 hitting percentage. Nwanebu only played in the first set against Alabama A&M and had two kills on four swings.

This is the sixth time that a member of the team has earned Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honors, with sophomore outside hitter Samantha Bricio winning the award five times last season.

Bricio, the MVP of the Mortar Board Premier tournament, was a nominee for the Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week award after posting 25 kills, 11 digs and seven blocks over the weekend.

The Women of Troy will take on TCU and Marquette during the Marquette Challenge in Milwaukee, Wis. on Friday before facing Northern Illinois on the road on Saturday.

Follow us on Twitter @dailytrojan