Haden meets with NCAA to discuss team sanctions

USC Athletic Director Pat Haden and Vice President for Athletic Compliance Dave Roberts met with National Collegiate Athletic Association President Mark Emmert on Wednesday following the NCAA’s announcement that it would reduce sanctions against Penn State.

“After learning of the NCAA’s actions on Tuesday regarding Penn State and the lessening of the sanctions that were imposed on that institution, when viewed in the context of the events that have shaken intercollegiate athletics over the past year, we felt compelled to discuss USC’s sanctions in a new light,” Haden said in a statement.

The Penn State sanctions, which were instated as a consequence of the scandal surrounding former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, previously capped the university’s 2014 student-athlete scholarships to 65 scholarships. However, the NCAA announced Tuesday that the scholarship cap would be increased to 75 scholarships in 2014, 80 in 2015 and return to the full allotment of 85 scholarships by 2016, according to ESPN.

Reflecting on the past · USC athletic director traveled to Indianapolis on Wednesday to meet with the NCAA about USC’s football sanctions. - Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

Reflecting on the past · USC athletic director traveled to Indianapolis on Wednesday to meet with the NCAA about USC’s football sanctions. – Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

The meetings focused on enforcement and sanction issues, specifically with regards to how to come up with fair solutions for both USC and the NCAA community.

“After candid discussions, the NCAA asked us to provide additional information and indicated it would study our suggestions,” Haden said.

USC’s sanctions came as a result of the 2010 Reggie Bush case, and  reduced the total football scholarship limit from 85 scholarships to 75 annual scholarships. Haden noted, however, that football players who were injured or transferred left the Trojans with less than 60 recruited scholarship student-athletes.

“I believe the penalties imposed on our football program in 2010 were unprecedented and inconsistent with NCAA precedent in prior cases,” Haden said. “Since the Committee on Infractions issued its sanctions in 2010, USC has been held up as a model and praised for its integrity and commitment to compliance, a fact often mentioned by the NCAA itself.”

1. jack
    jack says:

THE D.T. IS A FARCE OF FREE SPEECH. YOU GUYS/GALS SHOULD WORK FOR THE CHINESE–YOUR CENSORSHIP/NO NEGATIVE COMMENTS POLICY IS OUTRAGEOUSLY ANTI-DEMOCRATIC, AND ANTI-AMERICAN. NO GROWTH WILL EVER OCCUR AT THE DT WITH YOUR RUNNING SCARRED ASS-KISSING ATTITUDE TOWARDS THE ADMINISTRATION. JUST CHANGE THE NEWSPAPERS NAME TO THE DAILY BROWN NOSER! PATHETIC!

2. Jack
    Jack says:

Haden was not there to discuss the Sanctions. This meeting was set months ago. The PSU sanction reduction forced Haden to re-address the issue, for which he was totally unprepared. He thinks we actually deserve the sanctions–that’s why he has not mitigated them, while every other university has. Haden has accepted our lot, firmly believing that enduring this unjust punishment is part of our redemption–kind of like saying your “Hail Mary’s”. HIs personal morality seems to trump his obligations as the A.D..