USC Athletic Director Pat Haden and Vice President for Athletic Compliance Dave Roberts met with National Collegiate Athletic Association President Mark Emmert on Wednesday following the NCAA’s announcement that it would reduce sanctions against Penn State.
“After learning of the NCAA’s actions on Tuesday regarding Penn State and the lessening of the sanctions that were imposed on that institution, when viewed in the context of the events that have shaken intercollegiate athletics over the past year, we felt compelled to discuss USC’s sanctions in a new light,” Haden said in a statement.
The Penn State sanctions, which were instated as a consequence of the scandal surrounding former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, previously capped the university’s 2014 student-athlete scholarships to 65 scholarships. However, the NCAA announced Tuesday that the scholarship cap would be increased to 75 scholarships in 2014, 80 in 2015 and return to the full allotment of 85 scholarships by 2016, according to ESPN.
The meetings focused on enforcement and sanction issues, specifically with regards to how to come up with fair solutions for both USC and the NCAA community.
“After candid discussions, the NCAA asked us to provide additional information and indicated it would study our suggestions,” Haden said.
USC’s sanctions came as a result of the 2010 Reggie Bush case, and reduced the total football scholarship limit from 85 scholarships to 75 annual scholarships. Haden noted, however, that football players who were injured or transferred left the Trojans with less than 60 recruited scholarship student-athletes.
“I believe the penalties imposed on our football program in 2010 were unprecedented and inconsistent with NCAA precedent in prior cases,” Haden said. “Since the Committee on Infractions issued its sanctions in 2010, USC has been held up as a model and praised for its integrity and commitment to compliance, a fact often mentioned by the NCAA itself.”