The National Collegiate Athletic Association turned down USC’s appeal to gradually reduce scholarship sanctions in a statement Friday, according to multiple media reports.
USC Athletic Director Pat Haden and Vice President for Athletic Compliance Dave Roberts met with NCAA President Mark Emmert Wednesday to discuss the sanctions following the NCAA announcement that Penn State’s sanctions would be reduced. The NCAA, however, said that the two universities’ situations are not comparable.
“There is no comparison between the USC And Penn State cases,” the NCAA said in a statement. “USC’s appeal was denied and there is no further consideration being given.”
The NCAA sanctions, which came as a result of the 2010 Reggie Bush case, reduced the total number of annual scholarships from 85 to 75. Haden cited the crippling effect the sanctions has had on the university and the NCAA community as reason to explore other solutions.
“Given the changing landscape impacting intercollegiate sports over the past year, the recent action regarding Penn State, the impact of the sanctions on our program and the efforts we have undertaken at USC to compete with integrity, we again argued for some considering regarding the 2010 sanctions during the last year of our penalty,” Haden said in a statement.
The 75-player roster limit is set to expire with the class of 2014 in February.
Follow Yasmeen on Twitter @YasmeenSerhan