Class of 2017 sets the bar high for USC

USC’s admission rate for this year’s freshman class was the lowest in its 133-year history at 19.8 percent, according to recently released statistics.

The freshman class is also the most ethnically, geographically and socioeconomically diverse. More than 22 percent of the student body is part of a minority, including 19 percent Asian students, 14 percent Latino students, 6 percent black students and 2 percent Native American and Pacific Islander students.

According to a press release, USC enrolls more underrepresented minority students than most other research universities in the country. Thirteen percent of matriculating students are the first in their families to attend college.

The university received more than 47,300 applications for 2,922 places in the freshman class and had a 33 percent yield rate. The average standardized test scores for the class of 2017 are in the 95th percentile and the average SAT score rose about eight to 10 points, according to Director of Admission Kirk Brennan. The average unweighted GPA of the class was 3.73. Most incoming freshmen were in the top 10 percent of their high school class.

“Our entering freshmen have set new standards of quality and diversity for USC. Each year, we seek to enroll students who bring diverse perspectives and myriad strengths to our student body. We have attracted 2,922 talented young adults who are sure to someday have a profound impact on the world,” Dean of Admission Timothy Brunold said in a press release.

About 47 percent of the class is from California, and 33 percent is from Southern California. Approximately 15 percent of the freshman class is made up of international students from 48 different countries, an increase from the previous year.

The new Marshall World Bachelor of Business program, where students spend at least two years abroad, attracted many international students, particularly Italians.

Listed from most to least, Illinois, Texas, New York, Washington and Massachusetts were the states with the largest number of incoming freshmen, aside from California. The countries that contributed the most international students are China, India, Canada, South Korea, Italy and Taiwan.

USC also enrolls more than 4,200 low-income undergraduate students.

Follow Camille on @camilleshoosh