Art Walk showcases cutting-edge artists

The Downtown Art Walk enlivens the streets of Downtown Los Angeles the second Thursday of every month. Art Walk offers a unique L.A. experience that celebrates all that the city has to offer. Since its launch in 2004, Art Walk has revitalized the Los Angeles’ Historic District and earned it the Gallery Row nickname. Between Main and Spring Streets and Second and Ninth Streets, more than 40 galleries will open their doors to the public free of charge. This marks a departure from the appointment-only schedules kept by many Downtown L.A. galleries. In this sense, the galleries function more as free museums than sites selling artwork; this brings the focus to the public, not the collector. On this self-guided tour, patrons will encounter an eclectic mix of art, culture and food.

Opening up · The Downtown Los Angeles Art Walk will see many of Los Angeles’ private galleries open their doors to the public. Of the artists exhibiting include Dig Wayne, whose work “epiphany” is pictured. here  - Courtesy of Dig Wayne

Opening up · The Downtown Los Angeles Art Walk will see many of Los Angeles’ private galleries open their doors to the public. Of the artists exhibiting include Dig Wayne, whose work “epiphany” is pictured. here – Courtesy of Dig Wayne

The first stop for any traveler should be the Art Walk Lounge at 634 S. Spring St. Aside from providing general information, visiting the lounge is a great way to get acquainted with the event. The October Art Walk features a map designed by ConArt and graffiti shoe art designed by Eklips, plus free Perrier water. The Lounge gives a sampling of the various galleries but visitors should really utilize the online Art Walk map generator in order to plan their routes in advance. Though galleries cater to many different tastes and address a variety of topics, many of the October exhibitions have a distinctly L.A. vibe. Artists’ treatments of urbanity and local history provide a perfect complement to an event that takes place in Downtown L.A.

Another perspective-shifting exhibition is Dig Wayne’s “Lefty’s” at CLADE Gallery.

“The idea behind my photography is to show people how much art is all around us that we never notice,” Wayne said. “I don’t make art, I just photograph things that are already there.”

Wayne uses extreme close-ups to draw out the beauty and texture from everyday objects and is “attracted to the tiny details in decaying metal or chipping paint.”

This statement encapsulates the charm of Art Walk, as it allows the community to come together and reimagine the mundane. As with Wayne’s images, Art Walk encourages viewers to reconsider the world around them and find beauty in unexpected places.

In addition, Wayne feels that art brings people together and provides a chance for artists to experience a range of works in close proximity.

“I think the role of art in a community is to bring people together; allow them to share in a common experience,” Wayne said. “Rarely do two people see that same thing in a piece of art; that can create a dialogue that may never have taken place otherwise.”

Art Walk provides a valuable experience for artists and viewers, allowing people to interact with their community and expand their definition of art.

The Spring Street Art Collective includes five galleries with a variety of shows. The Spring Art Tower also houses The Last Bookstore. This stop offers the most variety of any single stop and should be a destination on everyone’s Art Walk map.

The Gloria Delson Contemporary Art Gallery will hold an opening reception for Eddie Rhem’s “Rheming Out L.A.” exhibition the night of Art Walk. Rhem will present a special show titled “The Belligerent Transparency of Privacy,” which will feature a performance installation by the Suicide Girls from 6 to 10 p.m. This opening is multifaceted and innovative, which echoes the very nature of Art Walk.

In a similarly experimental style, The Smell focuses on D.I.Y. art and music in the community. The Smell produces Olfactory Records of local musicians and has regularly held $5 concerts since their founding in 1998. Their gallery, The Void, will be open for Art Walk.

Located next to Walt Disney Concert Hall is the REDCAT Gallery. This experimental extension of CalArts is committed to fostering community engagement with art. It follows that their current exhibit addresses the topic of water in Los Angeles. Andrés Jaque and the Office for Political Innovation will present “Different Kinds of Water Pouring into a Swimming Pool,” an architecturally focused exhibition which explores the backyard pool culture in Los Angeles.

Similarly, Diego Cardoso’s art explores the connections between cities, transportation and humanity. Cardoso’s art has a distinctly-L.A. character, and the issues he addresses about transportation and urban growth are both timely and thought-provoking. His realistic yet beautifully rendered depictions of the city make viewers see the city differently.

Even though it is nearly impossible to see everything in one night, Gallery Row is easily accessible by Metro, allowing curious minds the chance to experience an exciting and diverse array of artists and galleries in the heart of downtown.

“I guess that Art Walk is about that, as well as an inspiration for artists to view each other’s work without having to travel to different or far locations,” Wayne said.