Meeting focuses on diversity

The USG Senate’s weekly meeting Tuesday evening included presentations from Diversity Affairs and the Philanthropy Fund. Because of a town hall co-hosted by USG at the same time, the meeting’s attendance was greatly reduced.

Lamar Gary, director of USG’s Diversity Affairs Committee, presented to the USG Senate. Among other issues, he stressed a need for diversity in student government.

Deliberation · The Undergraduate Student Government’s Vice President Ryan Park prepares to listen to presentations by the Diversity Affairs Committee and the Philanthropy Fund on Tuesday. - Jessica Zhou | Daily Trojan

Deliberation · The Undergraduate Student Government’s Vice President Ryan Park prepares to listen to presentations by the Diversity Affairs Committee and the Philanthropy Fund on Tuesday. – Jessica Zhou | Daily Trojan

“One of the things we’ve focused on is diversity in USG recruitment,” Gary said.

In order to achieve greater diversity in USG, Gary said he wants to move toward a “work flow” system for USG campaign financing, so qualified students can receive financial assistance to run for office in student government.

“As it stands right now, students have to pay up front when they apply for campaigning. We want to make sure that students who can’t afford this cost can have assistance,” Gary said.

Gary also spoke about a “rebuilding process” that he’s using to revitalize Diversity Affairs. Members of Diversity Affairs met with resource centers across campus and wrote one-page summaries of their policies and procedures. These documents will be used to update USG committee members on issues of diversity.

To strengthen membership in Diversity Affairs, Gary said he plans to give individual committee members “passion projects,” or personal goals they can work toward. These projects include forums or events to raise awareness.

“We’re teaching [committee members] to become inspired, and to advocate,” Gary said.

Yuna Kim, director of philanthropy funding, also presented.

Kim emphasized the success of the Pumpkin Party, an event co-sponsored by the Trojan Knights that gave local children an opportunity to carve pumpkins in preparation for Halloween.

“It was so cute to see little kids getting a chance to carve pumpkins,” Kim said. “Many of USC’s philanthropic events are based on an ongoing relationship with local organizations, so it’s important to foster relationships with the surrounding community.”

Follow us on Twitter @dailytrojan